3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2011 5:17 AM by Peter Spier

anchored a box containing a graphs in a text flowed document - advice

lister110 Level 1

I have an anchored box containing a graph in a indesign text box (multiple pages), on the opposite page there is also a graph anchored. The box on the left is set to inline with jump object run around to force the text below the graph. I can move this graph up or down no probs. The other graph on the second page doesn't move up or down but the text below does?

both anchored boxes (with curved corners containing a graph) are anchored inline. Why does the the graph on the right not move up or down like the graph on the left, only the text below moves.

Also, what is the best way to anchor something as big as a graph so the text continues to reflow. Should I set the runaround and once anchored let it force the text down, or should I have multiple hard returns so the text falls in the correct place and use the one of the returns as an anchored return?

cheers

lister

• 1. Re: anchored a box containing a graphs in a text flowed document - advice
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Can you show us a screen shot, please, of the second page, with the anchored frame selected and non-printing characters and text threads showing?

It sounds to me as if the second frame is custom anchored, not inline, but it's hard to say without seeing.

• 2. Re: anchored a box containing a graphs in a text flowed document - advice
            lister110 Level 1

I had to keep moving the box down, finally I could see the cariage return moving up (- box height) and then I could move the anchored box down with the text with it. Sorry I have another question. At the moment I have setup a custom anchored object style for the graphs:

Rel to spine

Ref Point: Top centre

Anchored Posi

Ref Point: centre / centre

x Relative To Text Frame: 0mm

y Relative To Baseline: 0mm

When the text moves down on the left page I want the Anchored box to move over to the right page, at the moment it gets to the bottom of the page and stays there and the rest of text starts to overflow the anchored graphic? any ideas?

cheers

• 3. Re: anchored a box containing a graphs in a text flowed document - advice
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't do a lot with anchored objects, so I have some difficulty in visualizing what you've done, but I can say in general that anchored objects don't behave will when the postion starts to move to the bottom of the page. You don't have a lot of options if there is not sufficient space left below the text to actually hold the object and keep it on the page or within the frame bounds. What do you have set for keeping it inside the column bounds?