4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 2:28 PM by tracey.pilkington

ereader trouble

tracey.pilkington

i am having trouble with a new ereader,as a family already have 3 others, the new one when trying to open the books downloaded comes up with the message 'file open failed' it does this with all the books. the only things able to read are the bits it came with. please help as the supplier cant help me. my next option is to send it back

• 1. Re: ereader trouble
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Tracey, you need to tell us a bit more about the 'new ereader', so we can

try to figure this out.

For starters, have you checked to make sure that the ereader model is

supported by Adobe Digital Editions?  Check HERE

<http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices>to bring up a

list of those that are supported.  From what you've said, it's possible that

it's not.

Next, you haven't said that you're trying to use Adobe Digital Editions to

manage the downloads, although one might assume that from the fact you've

posted here.  But, I know some folks that have downloaded ebooks directly to

their ereaders, skipping ADE altogether.

Then, if you have an ereader that's supported by ADE, have you registered it

with the manufacturer correctly, so ADE 'sees' it and has established

communication with it?  It's possible to assume that by reading a lot into

your post, but I'd rather have that part confirmed than assume it's been

done.

And, at the end of the line, ADE supports only a limited number of file

formats, so it's possible that the ebooks you've downloaded won't work when

you transfer them to the ereader....  This one's tricky, because many

ereaders are wedded to their host sites, like the Kindle to Amazon, the Nook

to B&D, the SONY to SONY, and so on.  ADE can work with some of them, but

not all.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you!

================

• 2. Re: ereader trouble
            tracey.pilkington Level 1

my ereader is a mebook e702. yes i am using adobe digital editions to manage

my downloads and they are in epub.as for registration didnt know i needed to

as our other 3 down loaded automaticaly.

• 3. Re: ereader trouble
              Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Tracey, have you checked the supported devices via the link I put in my

reply (HERE <http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices>)?

I don't see a 'mebook e702' in that list.  Which means that the device is

probably not supported.  It's pretty common that someone will market a

device and say that it can read ebooks (even giving the file formats it can

read), but not tell you how to do that, and perhaps that's happened here.

You could try to download the ebooks directly to this device and see if that

works.

I can only speculate on the 'other three' you mention because you haven't

told us what kind they are.  If they're working with ADE, then they are

supported devices and have been registered and authorized.

Sorry!

==============

• 4. Re: ereader trouble
                tracey.pilkington Level 1

thanks 4 your help. my son came home today and has confermed it doesn't

support  ade, it will read books directly down loaded, trouble is most

sights go directly to ade if u dont know what u r doing .