When you extract the quickstart
* go to folder /etc/server/webapps/
* extract the war file crx-explorer_crx.war
* The web.xml will be at /WEB-INF/ folder
Thanks for your answer, Sham!
Maybe just one precision if you happen to know it:
Does this mean that after having made the changes Lior needs to the web.xml, repackaging the crx-explorer_crx.war and the quickstart would make the quickstart work with this modified config out of the box?
yes. Just make sure you repack properly.
Ok I will give that a try. It will be much preffered if this would be an option in the startup files.
In regards to "yes. Just make sure you repack properly. " any recommended Jar options I should use when I repack it ?
It deponds how you unpacked. I used "Archive utility" from mac
* Extracted crx-explorer_crx.war
* It created crx-explorer_crx and rest of files below it.
* Modified the web.xml
* Later selected all the files under crx-explorer_crx
* Compressed & created a file "Archive.zip"
* Rename "Archive.zip" to crx-explorer_crx.war
* Similarly follow for quickstart.
In case you have used java -jar -unpack then pack it using java jar option only.
I have made the config change (and double checked it) but now when I click the cq quick start jar to start cq the runtime folder is not getting the updated web.xml file (r/runtime/0/_crx/WEB-INF/web.xml )
I retested again and it works..
Can you raise a daycare so that i can share the file or connect session with you & mention the port and changes required in web.xml
The steps I followed is exactly mentioned in this discussion.
tix created at Daycare
I am also attaching the modifed file (war file) with the RMI enabled.
Let me know how you want to proceed
Just to summerize the discussion
- For setting up a new instance with RMI enabling the procedure would be 
- For existing instance it is advised to modify directly at Your_CRX_Folder/server/runtime/0/_crx/WEB-INF/web.xml
- Enhancement request has been placed to configure rmi port from system properties
- Unpack the cq quickstart jar
- In the extracted path go to the folder /etc/server/webapps/
- Extract the war file crx-explorer_crx.war
- Modify The web.xml at /WEB-INF/ folder
- Repackage the crx-explorer_crx.war and the quickstart
- Use the new quickstart jar
I followed on this one with our IT operations team and they requested that we do #1 for exisiting environment as well, Which means we have to remove the runtime folder for exisiting running environments.
I would like to confirm that by doing that we are loosing the following:
* Any custom Lucine index configurations
* Any CQ patches we installed
Anything else ?
Apart from those two i can think is custom tika configuration. But loosing CQ patches is major one. Please consider #1 for exisiting environment at your risk.
If there is no other option for you than #1 as a precautinary please take a backup of runtime folder.
I just noticed in the web.xml another property:
Do I have to enable this property?
What default value is used when this property is commented out (default)?
We are getting a "Connection Refused" error when trying to connect a remove CRX via rmi and I was wondering if we have to enable this property as well.
It deponds Please refer  for more details on rmi registration, algorithm & possible cause for registration failure.
Thanks I will check it out