6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2006 4:28 AM by Newsgroup_User

File preferences change

When I installed the trial version of Fireworks, it asked me what file extensions he was going to be the default program for. I just clicked "yes" without really reading. Now every image, picture, etc, opens directly with Fireworks. How do I revert that ???

By the way: if I want to create logos and do that type of drawing (design) what Adobe/ex-Macromedia program should I use??? I'm kinda trying a bunch of things, but don't really know. I'm not a professional designer, and don't know any of these programs, but surely am creative, and learn fast. Anyways, what do you guys recommend??

Thanks a lot !!
        • 1. Re: File preferences change
          Level 7
          > When I installed the trial version of Fireworks, it asked me what file
          > extensions he was going to be the default program for. I just clicked "yes"
          > without really reading. Now every image, picture, etc, opens directly with
          > Fireworks. How do I revert that ???

Are you on Windows?
          In that case, change your file associations:
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859/en-us

--
          Regards,
          Adriana.
          [ put out the rubbish if you need to reach me by e-mail ]
          www.spinsister.nl

• 2. Re: File preferences change
            Yes, I know I can do that, but what I need is to stop Fireworks ITSELF from doing that from default.
            I need to change FIREWORKS' own settings.
            • 3. Re: File preferences change
              Level 7
              diafiro,

That is what file associations are all about. If I associate the .gif
              extension with Windows Paint, that is the program that will open when I
              double click on any .gif files in my computer.

alex

diafiro wrote:
              > Yes, I know I can do that, but what I need is to stop Fireworks ITSELF from doing that from default.
              > I need to change FIREWORKS' own settings.
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: File preferences change
                Level 7
                diafiro;
                Logos are most versatile when pure vector, so Illustrator or Freehand
                would be the best Adobe products to use (limiting oneself to use of features
                that export as resolution independent vector). -Tom Unger

• 5. Re: File preferences change
                  Katy_User
                  We have the same issue with FireWorks and file extensions. We can easily reset the file extensions to open with another program BUT the icon on the file remains the FireWorks yellow and white icon even though the defaul program has been changed. We want the default Windows JPG icon back as the default. Anyone know how to change that??? I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but when you are instructing users..... it is.
                  • 6. Re: File preferences change
                    Level 7
                    Katy User wrote:
                    > We have the same issue with FireWorks and file extensions. We can easily reset
                    > the file extensions to open with another program BUT the icon on the file
                    > remains the FireWorks yellow and white icon even though the defaul program has
                    > been changed. We want the default Windows JPG icon back as the default.
                    > Anyone know how to change that??? I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but
                    > when you are instructing users..... it is.
                    >
                    Perhaps these two links can be of help....

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_16833

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_16411

It shouldn't matter that they are for FW MX. The procedures are the same.

SKB