4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2011 5:38 AM by Tim Kolb

Pointing AE CS5.5 away from the internal graphics card?

Tim Kolb Level 1

I just need to find out if anyone has any thoughts on this...

I have a Lenovo W520, i7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 2000M, W7 64.  this is an "Optimus" equipped system which, from what I can tell, throttles GPU activity back and forth between the internal graphics and the Quadro card to reduce power drain when you want to use the machine to check email, etc.

I have the Adobe CS5.5 Master Suite installed.

PPro seems to think the Quadro card is what it needs...it sees it and uses it no problem. I'm running 280.26 Verde.  Lenovo's driver was 268.71, and it remains the only driver they show as available for this card (Q2000M) in this model (W520) and Adobe certified Quadro drivers are 259.57 for CS5...I can't find an Adobe anointed driver for CS5.5

AE crashes when i use Open GL preview with the message:

"Your hardware configuration does not meet minimum specifications needed to run the application. The application must close. Please visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help. Error code: 7"

This happens with both the original Lenovo driver and the Verde version driver...I've turned off Open GL so I can some AE work done, but it would be nice to solve the issue.

NVIDIA seems to feel this indicates that AE is probably trying to use the internal graphics card and crashing...but in the AE preferences, the Quadro is the only display card it shows available in the Open GL settings.  I don't have any experience with "pointing' an application toward a certain graphics card, or even how to determine that is indeed the issue...

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks

TimK

• 1. Re: Pointing AE CS5.5 away from the internal graphics card?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Tim Kolb wrote:

...I've turned off Open GL so I can some AE work done, but it would be nice to solve the issue... Anybody have any thoughts?

Yessir, here's the thought: you did just the right thing by turning off Open GL. 

A Quadro card's great for Premiere, and that's the prime reason to have one.  But for AE?  Nope. 

Open GL may sometimes help when previewing in AE, but you have an experience to the contrary.  I'm sorry to say I don't know the fix, if one even exists.  Furthermore, it shouldn't be used when rendering, a disappointing truth evidenced by the many Adobe employees -- perhaps all of 'em -- who don't use Open GL when they render. 

AE only supports a subset of Open GL, and getting it to work properly in a comp of even moderate complexity is a crap shoot.  Only a small handful of third-party plugins utilize Open GL.  So the common wisdom is to just forget about Open GL when rendering in AE.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Pointing AE CS5.5 away from the internal graphics card?
            Tim Kolb Level 1

Hmmmm...  Disappointing.  Thanks for the reply Dave.

I will say this is the first time I've had an issue with a Quadro card...and I've had a bunch of them.

I am still interested in finding out if there's a way to direct AE to a particular display card.

(...or if it's even an issue)

• 3. Re: Pointing AE CS5.5 away from the internal graphics card?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There's no way to enforce usage of a specific card. It's to some extent owed to how Windows itself works - there always has to be a "primary" graphics system and that's what it shows first to apps as well. The rest is some driver magic and obviously in your case it doesn't work too well.... You could only try and turn off the internal chip the hard way in the BIOS at the cost of the Quadro always being on and naturally drawing more juice...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Pointing AE CS5.5 away from the internal graphics card?
                Tim Kolb Level 1

Thanks guys.  This all seems to fit with how I thought this worked.

I appreciate the perspective.

TimK