4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2011 2:50 PM by Colin Brougham

CS5 Speech Analysis Tool For Transcription, Acceptable Media Types?

lbsimpson Level 1

Hi all,

I've been fiddling with the oh so handy, speech analysis toolin CS5 PPro, and can really see the potential for cutting down on transciption time.  I spent a bit of time poking around the CS5 PPro help document, as well as tutorials via lynda.com etc. to gain a bit more insight into the file types that the speech analysis will accept and am drawing a blank other than the observations I have made doing a bit of experimenting with the feature.  So far, I can not get the tool to recognize 2 of our 3 cameras, native media.  Currently it will analyze only raw media shot via SDHC Class 6 cards on a JVC HGMY700 in 1080i60 format. The other two camera/media types in question are Panasonic P2 MXF files and Ikegami HDS-V10 MXF files, both are also 1080i60 format.  

Is there perhaps a codec/plug-in etc. available to access the speech analysis tool with these other types of media?  I have found it works well with quicktime .mov files, but I might end up spending as much time waiting to convert the file to an .mov as I would just transcribing the old fashioned way. 

Any insight on how I might best utilize this tool would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you! 

On a separate random note, if anyone has any useful info, links or otherwise, in regards to media management using CatDV and Cache-A for archive, it would also be appreciated.  That's one of many projects looming...

Lindsay

• 1. Re: CS5 Speech Analysis Tool For Transcription, Acceptable Media Types?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with the media type--well, specifically, it doesn't have anything to do with the format or codec.

So, what's the problem? Annoyingly, Panasonic P2 structures are write-protected--that is, they're marked as "Read-only." While this isn't much of a problem in normal operation, when you try to do things like speech transcription (and other metadata entry, if I recall correctly), you'll effectively be shut out. The files in the structure are writeable, but the structure itself is not.

Yep. Weird.

What to do? In Explorer, simply right-click the CONTENTS folder (you might even be able to do this at the top level, if you save your P2 offloads in that way), click Properties, and clear the Read-only checkbox in Attributes. Once the Read-only attribute is cleared, you should be able to run Speech Analysis on the P2 clips. You'll probably want to change the Read-only flag with Premiere Pro closed.

Now--that might not solve it. There seems to be a latent bug in Pr that prevents you from running Speech Analysis on a single P2 MXF clip. If this seems to be the case, try selecting two or more clips in the Project Panel, and then check to see if the Analyze button or Analyze Content menu command is available. Pretty silly, but at least its a reasonably painless workaround.

Hope that gets things working for you.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5 Speech Analysis Tool For Transcription, Acceptable Media Types?
            lbsimpson Level 1

Hi Colin,

Thanks for all of your insight on this matter.  It is certainly helpful.  I will remove the 'Read-only' restriction and test again.  I'll take a look to see if that might be the hang up with the Ikegami media as well.  Makes sense that it might affect that media as well.  Otherwise I'll try selecting multiple clips as you suggested as well. I'll report back with my findings for future reference for others.

Lindsay

• 3. Re: CS5 Speech Analysis Tool For Transcription, Acceptable Media Types?
              lbsimpson Level 1

Okay well I tried removing the "Ready-only" permissions which did not work.  However, selecting multiple clips at once did enable analysis   So excited to utilize this new tool.

Lindsay

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CS5 Speech Analysis Tool For Transcription, Acceptable Media Types?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Cool Six of one, half-dozen o' the other