2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2011 11:00 AM by Production Monkey

Using value() with large arrays

Listat_jhg

Hi there!

I am working with arrays from a txt file. They are really large. I use value to change them into real arrays in lingo.

Someone can tell me if there is a limit in the length of the string to value because value returns a strange array.

- It works well with 85284 string's characters.

- It doesn't work with 355391 string's characters.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Using value() with large arrays
          Adam-C Level 2

Value is intended to return the numeric value of a statement contained in a string. This can be useful if one needs to create a calculation dynamically within code. I'm not sure that it's the best way of reading an array from a text file though - I would think that you'd be better-off using the FileIO Xtra to open the file and then parse it into an array character-by-character.

You may find that the "do" command will be more suitable to your current method of working though - it attempts to execute the expression contained in a string. So something like

set myArrayString = "[1, 2, 3, 4]"

set myArray = void

do "myArray =" && myArrayString

is a better way of converting strings into arrays (note that "myArray" is initialised prior to the "do" command so that Director's compiler recognises the creation of the variable and doesn't throw a script error when you try to close the script-edit window).

You could also arrange your text-based data in XML format and then convert it into Director data using the xmlparser Xtra (the xmlparser takes a wee bit of experimenting to get the hang of, but is pretty handy once you master it).

Another solution would be to use the BudyFile Xtra (from the same people who do the BuddyApi Xtra - google it to find their site). This has functions that allow you to read and write files containing Director arrays comprised of virtually any Director datatype, with optional encryption if desired.

Hope that helps.

• 2. Re: Using value() with large arrays
            Production Monkey Level 3

Value works well for converting strings into lists, however, as you discovered it fails if the string is too large or too complicated.

In the old days I would have recommended the Vlist xtra. You could use it to read and write lists and there was no charge if that was the only functionality you needed. It seems to be discontinued although you can still download it.

Depending on how you interact with the data in the list, using a SQLite database may be a better option. It is blazingly fast if you design your database well. Free xtra here: http://staff.dasdeck.de/valentin/xtras/sqlite_xtra/

If you just want to stick with your list and don't mind long startup times, then the FileIO xtra will work as Adam suggested. I wrote a couple functions to do this. One for loading a text file into a list and one to save the list back out to a text file. On my machine it took 50 seconds to load a 400000 word file and 4 seconds to save it.

To try the code out do the following in the message window:

h = ["One","two","three","four"]

saveStringList(h, _movie.path & "mydata.txt")

h = []

loadStringList(h, _movie.path & "mydata.txt")

put h

Notes: 

The load function expects a space delimited file with the first word indicating how many words are in the file. It is probably best to use the saveStringList() function first to create a file that can be read in.

These functions are design to work with a linear list of strings. Nothing more.

-- Movie script list functions

-- Read SPACE delimited strings into the list DataList

-- * First string MUST be the string/word count.

on loadStringList DataList, FilePath

FileIn = new(xtra "fileIO")

FileIn.openFile(FilePath, 1)  -- Open the file with read-only access

if FileIn.status() then

FileIn.closeFile()

put "Error reading data in handler loadStringList. "

exit

end if

WordCnt = Value(FileIn.readWord())

repeat with cnt = 1 to WordCnt

DataList.add(FileIn.readWord())

end repeat

FileIn.closeFile()

end loadStringList

-- Saves a list of Strings to a file delimited by spaces

on saveStringList DataList, FilePath

FileOut = new(xtra "fileIO")

FileOut.createFile(FilePath)

FileOut.openFile(FilePath, 2)  -- Open the file with write-only access

if FileOut.status() then

FileOut.closeFile()

put " Error writing file in handler saveStringList ."

exit

end if

WordCount = DataList.count

FileOut.writeString(String(WordCount) & Space)

repeat with Val in DataList

FileOut.writeString(Val & Space)

end repeat

FileOut.closeFile()

end saveStringList

-----------------------------------------