6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2011 4:45 AM by Peter Spier

Interactive pdf export question

Craig Goy

Is Acrobat required/needed to create/export an "interactive pdf" from InDesign CS5.5...i.e. do I need to make another investment?

If so, will the resulting interactive pdf open up/play with a newer or newest version of the "free" Adobe Reader...

which is what most of my "consumer" customers have?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Craig Goy

• 1. Re: Interactive pdf export question
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I haven't tried it without Acrobat being installed, but to my knowledge it is not required, InDesign will do all the work. Acrobat will come in handy if you need to do some minor tweeking such as changing some of the properties like disabling the menus, or have a different page be the default page, etc. Yeah it can do some of the heavier work, but it is just about as quick to just resave the pdf from InDesign.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Interactive pdf export question
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

InDesign uses its own PDF Library for exporting PDFs. Acrobat is not involved or required in any way for export. Usability of any PDF with advanced features will be variable with any non-Adobe viewer, and older versions of Reader, but any reasonably current version of Reader should work fine.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Interactive pdf export question
              Craig Goy Level 1

Thank you for your help.

Do you mind if I e-mail you in the future if I have an additional question.

Craig

• 4. Re: Interactive pdf export question
                Craig Goy Level 1

Thank you for your help Peter.

Craig

• 5. Re: Interactive pdf export question
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

All of your replies appear in the public forum, there is no need to post seperate replies to individuals.

Thank you for your help.

This is frowned-upon.

By posting your question in public, others can find your question and benefit from the answers you are given. Moving the dialog in private eliminates that valuable community function.

• 6. Re: Interactive pdf export question
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

John Hawkinson wrote:

All of your replies appear in the public forum, there is no need to post seperate replies to individuals.

Thank you for your help.

This is frowned-upon.

By posting your question in public, others can find your question and benefit from the answers you are given. Moving the dialog in private eliminates that valuable community function.

Thanks, John.