6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2011 6:01 AM by Peter Spier

indesign dialog warning missing links!

inquestflash Level 1

hello indesigners.

im opening up a document and im getting this message:

save for adobe.jpg

so that means i have to find where all the 164 links(images) are?!?!?!and then put them in the folder so indesign can link to them?

• 1. Re: indesign dialog warning missing links!
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Yup. Is this your file, or did you get it from someone else?

If it's yours, this could easily be caused by moving folders or renaming a server, but it should be reasonably easy to find stuff unless the originals were scattered over many folders. If it's from soemone else, ask them to package the file and send the links.

• 2. Re: indesign dialog warning missing links!

Sorry, you don't have to move them once found, unless of course you want to. You just have to tell ID where they live NOW.

• 3. Re: indesign dialog warning missing links!
              inquestflash Level 1

hello peter.

yes this is my file,i had made the pdf in england,and then i came here to australia.now for some reason when i open up the inddocument instead of having 164 links,its 33 links now!i have done nothing to replace them.

a)ok i have 4 hard discs in my pc,all the links are in every hard disk.does it matter from which disk it links to?or is it ok cos all the links have the same name,so indesign is smart enough to link to where its coming from?

b)i remember when i made the interactive pdf file i had embeded the images in order to avoid this confusion!!so is there an embed buttom somewhere when i import an image?

thank you.

• 4. Re: indesign dialog warning missing links!

Now I'm confused. The warning says 164 links, but you say there are only 33 listed in the panel? EVERYTHING that was placed (well, not text or spreadsheets unless you chose to link them) should be listed, as I think you know, in the links panel. There are three possible states for those links: OK, modified (yellow warning triangle) or missing (red dot with questionmark).

Only the missing need to be located, and you can use any copy of them that you like (though they may switch from missing to modified if you pick a differnt copy from the original). Update modified links.

Once you have what you want, you can select a link and embed it from the Links panel, but there's pretty much no good reason I can think of to do this. It increases the size of the file, and it breaks the link to the original so if that gets edited there's no way to update without unembedding.

• 5. Re: indesign dialog warning missing links!
                  inquestflash Level 1

peter you wont beleive what happened.one of my hard disks was disconnected,the usb cable of the hard drive  for some reason was not connecting right ,and once i connected it all the links were there!cant believe a hard drive out of place would make indesign go bananas saying missing links!

Thanks again.

• 6. Re: indesign dialog warning missing links!

inquestflash wrote:

cant believe a hard drive out of place would make indesign go bananas saying missing links!

Why not? That's essentially the same as taking the file, but not the links, over to your neighbor's house. ID knows where to look, but can't find what's not connected.

1 person found this helpful