24 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2011 8:05 AM by ferdinandNGC

Anamorphic or not?

VidShooter

I am doing my first HD project with scenes from my new Panasonic TM900.

I shot using the HG setting which is 1920x1080 and I plan to burn the project to ordinary DVD.

Should I open the project as 1080i anamorphic or just plain 1080i?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Anamorphic or not?
          Stephen_Spider Level 3

If you take a clip from the project window and drop it on the new item button at the bottom of the project window, it should create a sequence with the proper aspect ratio for your raw footage. When you are done editing and are exporting a .mpg file for your DVD, make sure the dimentions are 720x480 with widescreen pixel aspect ratio (1.2xxx)

• 2. Re: Anamorphic or not?
            Admiral Cook Level 1

Or 720x576 Wide for PAL.

• 3. Re: Anamorphic or not?
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dropping the footage in the New Item icon is a nice feature but you still need to get to know your camera. Look in the manual what HG stands for.

Then all those presets will make more sense.

When finished editing use Dynamic Link or export to MPEG2-DVD which will give you two files. A .m2v file and .ac3 (if Dolby is selected) file. This is a better workflow then exporting to one file (.mpg) Encore does not have pull the file apart to make a dvd.

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-premiere-pro-cs5/

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/cs4/articles/videoindex.html#premiere

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878497?tstart=0

• 4. Re: Anamorphic or not?
                VidMuze Level 1

Here's a little info on anamorphic.  It's more the thing of the past, now that we have full 1080p (1920x1080) cameras.  All HDV footage is anamorphic.  This means that the resolution is only 1440x1080 with a pixel ratio of 1.3333.  A lot of TV stations air at this res since it's less lines of resolution, therefore less bandwidth usage, therefore cheaper to air.  However, this is technically not true HD (1080p) footage.  This footage is still interlaced, hence the 1080i.    But since the pixel ratio is 1.3333, instead of 1.0 (square) like 1080p, this allows the footage to maintain the 16:9 widescreen ratio.  So if you're wanting to export to DVD, simply export it as 720x480 (NTSC) at pixel ratio of 1.21, progressive; not interlaced.  This will maintain the widescreen ratio.  But if you're wanting to export this project in HD as a master for archive purposes or whatever, then keep the original resolution of camera, 1920x1080.

Here's a tutorial I did on export settings that may help a little.  http://www.vidmuze.com/2011/09/advance-overview-of-export-settings-in-premiere-pro-cs-5-5/

Hope that helps.

Mike

• 5. Re: Anamorphic or not?
                  Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Hi Mike,

Quote > Here's a little info on anamorphic.  It's more the thing of the past, now that we have full 1080p (1920x1080) cameras>

I use both, frankly I cannot tell the difference on a split screen , you may have better eyes than mine, I come from the cinema era when cinemascope, panavision were all anamorphic, now many digital cinemas which for sharpness and color find it hard to match film, but, that is going back many years. The current crop of 24fps digital movies on say a Cinema Mode full HD 1920 x 1080 Sony or equivalent is to my eye not as good as digital HD either 720x 576 P or 1920 x 1080P if played on a Vivid setting. 

• 6. Re: Anamorphic or not?
                    VidShooter Level 1

Thanks for all your input.

The question I am asking relates to creating a new Project.

After entering the project path and name, you are invited to select an available preset.

I shot AVCHD 1920x1080, so I selected the AVCHD 1080i dropdown but was asked whether anamorphic or not.

Does the selection of the preset have any effect on how the project is edited OR is it the parameters for the output mpg?

I guess I don't know what it is for!

Can you tell me the significance of the presets - when creating the project file..

Thanks

• 7. Re: Anamorphic or not?

Hi VidShooter,

If you shoot AVCHD it is not anamorphic, only tape units are and are still being used professionally, The pixels are 1440 x 1080 rectangular pixels that are anamorphically changed to HD widescreen  16:9, Canon's Pixel Shift technology employs that , it is very good, but, your AVCHD should be 1920 x 1080i , unless you want to go to Professional Tape do not use the anamorphic setting. Use the generic presets, they should work automatically.

But, not a good idea to go to DVD with a HD 1920 x 1080i project, you could get artifacts , that is horizontal and vertical shimmering. I recommend to go to Blu-ray and retain your quality out of your camera.Adobe Elements does a good DVD/Blu-Ray burn or other software  ? Even premiere Pro CS5.5.1 if you can put up with ENCORE

If you are better than I am, you may get a perfect DVD, but, the pixels drop to 720 x 576 PAL, ie., from 1920 x 1080, it will throw away a lot of pixels. You may need a very good computer to handle the codec AVCHD it is sometimes difficult to edit ?Also, you had better check the speed ie., 24fps, 25fps, 30fps that you shot that with ?

Message was edited by: Bob Dix Photographer

• 8. Re: Anamorphic or not?
                        Stephen_Spider Level 3

We have a couple of Cannon HF S200s where I work, they also shoot AVCHD. What I've found is at the two highest bit rate settings (24Mbps & 17Mbps) it shoots at 1920 x 1080. At the three lower bitrate settings, the resolution is 1440 x 1080.

You should be able to see the properties of any clip or sequence selected in the project window for reference.

• 9. Re: Anamorphic or not?

Note :  >>>http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hf_s2 00#Specifications   The specs noted by Canon  state lower bit rates to increase the recording time, but, anything lower than 24/25 mbps is not high quality pro recording. The limitations of tape is 1440 x 1080, Canon use the rectangular pixels as in their Pro and the Canon HV 20/30/40 camcorders of 1.3333 anamorphically to achieve 1920 x 1080 which uses 1.0 square pixels. If you are shooting at 1920 x 1080 @24 mbps in that camera you are recording to a SD card or hard drive ,use that in your editing software, and this cannot be tape..

The Panasonic TM 900 is a high end unit > used by VidShooter ://http://thecamcorderreviewer.com/panasonic-tm900-panasonic-hdc-tm900-review-panasonic-hd c-tm900-camcorder   using 1.0 Square pixels with a sophisticated 3MOS capture processor, he was asking if he should use the anamorphic setting ? The answer is not for that camera?

And yes, you would see the properties in right clicking on the clips.

Message was edited by: Bob Dix Photographer

• 10. Re: Anamorphic or not?
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I did not check the Pana but there are plenty of avchd camera's that shoot 1440x1080 to flash card, has nothing to do with tape just with the bitrate.

• 11. Re: Anamorphic or not?
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Can you tell me the significance of the presets - when creating the project file..

None really.  You don't even actually need to complete this step.  You're fine canceling it and using Steven's advice from post 1.

• 12. Re: Anamorphic or not?