11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2011 10:14 AM by Robbie75VR

Any dedicated hardware to render effects ?

Robbie75VR Level 1

Is there any hardware to accelerate the render process of AE effects? I need acceleration on Warp Stabilizer.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Any dedicated hardware to render effects ?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nope. The days of ICE boards are long gone and whether hardware acceleration is really worth all the trouble (including AE's notoriously flakey OpenGL) is very much a matter open to debate. In your case it#s a moot point, anyway. Temporal effects process mostly linear and even if hardware acceleration of some kind existed, it would be limited by that little thing...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Any dedicated hardware to render effects ?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Performance for Warp Stabilizer is most influenced by CPU speed and RAM.

One thing to note about the Warp Stabilizer background process is that it operates outside of the After Effects application process, so you can give more resources to the Warp Stabilizer background processing by taking some away from the main After Effects application. You shouldn't need to do that, but it may help on a system with limited resources.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Any dedicated hardware to render effects ?
              Robbie75VR Level 1

Can this setup help me to get faster warp renderings ?

AE memory setup.JPG

• 4. Re: Any dedicated hardware to render effects ?
                bogiesan Level 4

ICE. Those rats. Gave them probably US$40K for two early nubus boards and two later updates and another $2-5K for the optimized software from Studio Effects. Never worked. Not ever. I still have the blue anodized heat sinks glued to the wall near my edit station.

Beware all proprietary solutions!

• 5. Re: Any dedicated hardware to render effects ?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Can this setup help me to get faster warp renderings ?

Be careful with your terminology.

Are you asking for faster analysis of the Warp Stabilizer (the first phase, where you get the blue banner that tells you that it's analyzing)?

Or are you asking for faster rendering?

Those are entirely different things. The recommendations that I gave above were to take resources away from rendering so that they were free for the analysis phase.

If you want to be certain, experiment with different settings. Do your own tests.

• 6. Re: Any dedicated hardware to render effects ?
                    Robbie75VR Level 1

I need faster analysis most of all, and why not also faster new file creation with the stabilized file, will make some tests anyway, thanks.

• 7. Re: Any dedicated hardware to render effects ?
                      Robbie75VR Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

Performance for Warp Stabilizer is most influenced by CPU speed and RAM.

One thing to note about the Warp Stabilizer background process is that it operates outside of the After Effects application process, so you can give more resources to the Warp Stabilizer background processing by taking some away from the main After Effects application. You shouldn't need to do that, but it may help on a system with limited resources.

Todd, I made some tests.

The analysis time in AE with the settings shown in the screenshots above took about the same time than with the settings below, a lot actually, 5 minutes to analyze 10 seconds of 1080i25 avchd footage.

The difference is very visible when from AE I render the stabilized clip to file (lossless UT yuv 420), it took about 4':50'' with the settings shown in the screenshot above, and just 00':50'' with the settings of the screenshots below.

AE memory setup 2.JPG

So now I know how to render faster, but still a mistery to me if it's possible to accelerate the analysis time, with both memory settings it took the same amount of time , the cpu usage was around 30% and about half ram used, so why is not using all memory and cpu ?

Thanks

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Any dedicated hardware to render effects ?
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

Robbie75VR wrote:

Is there any hardware to accelerate the render process of AE effects? I need acceleration on Warp Stabilizer.

In conjunction with the past few threads you've started, I really feel the need to speak out on this.  You're doing yourself a profound injustice by such heavy reliance on Warp Stabilizer.

Warp Stabilizer can't be viewed as a handy-dandy solution for run 'n gun hand-held photography, ignoring the basics of camera support or blowing off basic camera stabilization.  That's NOT what it's intended for. 

Warp Stabilizer is intended for use on the occasional shot that despite one's best efforts, somehow got a little bump in a pan... or a sudden, violent wind gust came up and buffeted a locked-down, unattended camera.... in other words, a rare instance.  If you use the tool as a solution for an entire non-stabilized project, you're going to pay the price in long, long computer time, as I suspect you're now painfully aware.

If you view Warp Stabilizer as a cure-all for shaky photography, I reeeeealllllly think you ought to re-examine your camera stabilization techniques, if for no other reason than to save yourself countless minutes of wasted time in post.  It ain't worth your time nor anyone else's spending needless hours staring at a monitor when it could have been avoided altogether by doing it right the first time.

• 9. Re: Any dedicated hardware to render effects ?
                          Robbie75VR Level 1

Dave LaRonde wrote:

Warp Stabilizer can't be viewed as a handy-dandy solution for run 'n gun hand-held photography, ignoring the basics of camera support or blowing off basic camera stabilization.  That's NOT what it's intended for. 

Dave,

I'm a professional aerial videographer and I work with files shooted with a HDSLR mounted on a 3 axis gyrostabilized gimbal mounted on a 3 axys gyrostabilized UAV helicopter. My customers request maximum stabilization as possible, so I complete my work with Worp Stabilizer because so far in my opinion outputs the best stabilization ever.

So far there are no better solutions for low altitude aerial videography.

• 10. Re: Any dedicated hardware to render effects ?
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Thanks for revealing the nature of the shots.  I feel your pain.  By now you know that Warp Stabilizer takes a stinkin' long time to work, and tweaking your settings may help, but just a little.

Sure, every little bit helps.  But I can't help but think you've at least considered a new line item on the bill for those clients who absolutely demand rock-solid images from an itty-bitty camera attached to an itty-bitty helicopter that's easily buffeted by cross winds -- "post-production digital image stabilization". 

It has a nice ring to it.

• 11. Re: Any dedicated hardware to render effects ?
                              Robbie75VR Level 1

Yup postprocessing is a big part of my job, one day of shooting for about 3 minutes of video and one day of editing eheh.

Because it's not the original topic of this thread I opened a new thread dedicated to warp stabilizer optimization, just in case somebody knows something else about it... here it is: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/913184