7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2011 1:29 PM by nealeh

PE10 Upgrade?

Steven-K Level 1

I own PE 7, 8, and 9. I have a high performance computer, Intel i7-870 quad-core, Win 7, 64 bit, 12 GB ram, etc...

I am considering upgrading to the latest version PE10

Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks,

Steve

• 1. Re: PE10 Upgrade?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Advise about what?

• 2. Re: PE10 Upgrade?
            Steven-K Level 1

I guess you did not read the second sentence!

Is an upgrade to PE10 worth the cost? Is the new version much better?

• 3. Re: PE10 Upgrade?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Back on the main page is a link to the FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq?view=all

The very first article discusses version 10... did you read that?

• 4. Re: PE10 Upgrade?
                Steven-K Level 1

No, but I will read it....

Do you or anyone else on the forum have any personal experience in using the new version?

Any feedback regarding the use of the new version would be helpful.

• 5. Re: PE10 Upgrade?
                  VDOSurfer Level 3

You have a good PC, and you want a powerful software. Understood. But do you have any specific workflow in mind?

I currently have PrE10, on an older 4GB Dual Core 3+Ghz machine and I have so far had very few issues with it. Some UI ones, nothing serious..I do a lot of multitrack AVCHD editing - Mostly PiPs and with some effects that I attempt (and mostly succeed), and show it off to family. I do it for the editing experience and the little joy I get time to extract out of that exercise. Just creating something and watching something being created at the same time.....

My use case allows me to continue with this PC, I also have a MAC (at my disposal, not mine though) and that version of PrE works without ANY issues - although I admit that is used rather less frequently. What I am coming to is that I am happy with my PC and PrE10 because what I do is within the limits of my PC. And I know the limits because I have experimented a bit in PrE8 and 9. This is better in terms of the editing experience. My definition of "better" may be different than yours. Just download the trial and see it for yourself.

What do you want to do with it? There are experts here who can guide you through every step. But for now your question is too open ended for any specific feedback. If it is anything close to my use, you are going to be happy with it.

• 6. Re: PE10 Upgrade?
                    rdnelson Level 2

I agree with VDOSurfer -- downoad the trial.

Some areas seem much snappier in PrE 10 than PrE 9 for me.  I have read others comment that it is slower.  This probably depends on the type of media and the system.

I use the organizer to help organize my video content.  Some of the issues I saw in PrE 9 have been resolved so this is a plus.

The removal of the 'organizer' like functionality form PrE 10 is going to take some time to get use to but I wouldn't avoid the upgrade because of this.

• 7. Re: PE10 Upgrade?
                      nealeh Level 5

You won't have any troubles adapting as the basic User Interface and work-flow are pretty much the same. With W7-64 and 12GB RAM you should definitely be seeing performance improvements from the 64-bit version of PRE10.

The only problem I've encountered is some video clips from a Hitachi camcorder that don't import properly into PRE10 as supplied. This is because the 64-bit PRE10 hasn't got a native DirectShow import filter. Adobe advised me to install the 64-bit version of the free ffdshow (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/codecs/ffdshow64.cfm) and this fixed the issue.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children