2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2006 5:48 AM by fritzj

No Online-Help displayed

Walter_Saegesser
      I have just newly installed RoboHelp X5 for .NET on my Windows XP, SP2 PC with Opera 9 (default) and Internet Explorer 6 SP2.

When I click the first or second item in the "Help" menu of RoboHelp, nothing happens . I.e. it looks as if the IE was trying to do something. But nothing is visible on the screen.

The same behavior I get when I try to test the Context-Sensitive help of a tiny FlashHelp or WebHelp project. Below I describe what I do, perhaps I'm missing something important.

1. Install RoboHelp X5 Pro.Net
      2. Start RoboHelp
      3. Click the first item in the "Help" menu.

Results:
      Just nothing happens. This behavior is true for ALL help that seems to use a browser.
      We have tried on several machines. Always the same nonsense. All PCs except mine use IE as default browser.

4. Create any Help-Project that relies upon a browser (e.g. WebHelp, FlashHelp). Just two topics. Project name in my case: FlashHelp
      5. Generate the project and press "View Result". The result is displayed in the default browser (Opera 9 in my case). This is (astonishingly) ok.
      6. Create Map-Ids for Context-Sensitive Help for the available topics in the project. Generate project.
      7. Start "CSH-Test", choose the appropriate "FlashHelp.htm" and map-id-file. Press "Show Help".

Result:
      Nothing happens. Obviously the Internet Explorer is trying to do something. But you don't see anything on the screen.
      The same utterly disappointing result you get when you create a small C# application (derived from the example installed with RoboHelp).

By the way:
      If I create a HTML-Help instead of a FlashHelp or WebHelp project everything works as expected, even my own C# application. For HTML-Help there are, however, much cheaper tools than RoboHelp. We want to use FlashHelp.

Comment:
      I suppose that all this misbehavior comes forth from the same problem.
      And as I can't open the online-help I cannot even try to figure out what could be wrong .

Thanks a lot for any useful hint.
      Walter