3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2011 5:07 PM by StanNJ1

Revolving text around planet question

StanNJ1 Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to wrap text around a planet in After Effects but can't seem to get it right. I want the text to disappear when it revolves behind the planet and appear when it's in front of the planet. If I drag the text layer so that it's underneath the earth layer it won't show at all. What am I doing wrong? Your help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Stan

ScreenHunter_02 Oct. 13 09.42.jpg

• 1. Re: Revolving text around planet question
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What am I doing wrong?

Nothing. You are just not considering, that AE has no contiguous/ consistent 3D space and each effect, no matter how 3D it may look, exists only within its limited universe inside the layer just like CC Sphere does. It does not interact with AE's 3D space. Therefore you will have to fake it by e.g. applying a circle as a track matte to your text and using duplicates. The simplestr way would be to again use CC Sphere also for the text and make use of the rendering modes - one instance that only renders the outside on top of the planet, one below the planed set to render the inside.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Revolving text around planet question
            StanNJ1 Level 1

Well I didn't understand everything you wrote but managed to get enough from your response to correct the problem. I used CC Sphere instead of cylinder and chose "Outside" for render. That worked. Thank you

• 3. Re: Revolving text around planet question
              StanNJ1 Level 1

I finished my project and uploaded it and wanted to share.............