8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2012 10:13 AM by Bob Bringhurst - Adobe RSS

Public vs Private

David Cooke Community Member

When I publish my app through the folio creator tools I'm given the option of Public or Private. Can someone explain what exactly they mean? If I set it to Private can I still share it with clients? Do they have to sign into their Content Viewer Apps with my login or can they still use their own? What about Public? Who can see it then?

I presume these decisions have no bearing when I eventually send the app to iTunes, or do they?

• 1. Re: Public vs Private
          Bob Bringhurst - Adobe Adobe Employee

When you publish a folio as Private, the folio is published to the distribution service (Akamai servers rather than acrobat.com servers), and it's available only in the iPad viewer. The private folio appears in the library without the blue stripe. When you publish a folio as Public, you make it available to everyone who has your custom viewer.

• 2. Re: Public vs Private
            David Cooke Community Member

OK so if I'm creating a new folio for my Multi-folio app, all I do is publish it as Public and people who have downloaded my App (Custom Viewer) will have the option of downloading it? Does this mean that folios created for multi-folio apps are published without going through iTunes' approval process and will just appear immediately after they've been published through the Folio Creator Tools?

With regards to publishing Private, do readers have to login with my account details to view or will can I share it as I would an app hosted on Acrobat (ie. to anyone with an Acrobat account)?

• 3. Re: Public vs Private

If you set the folio's status to Free and Public, it becomes immediately available in your custom viewer without going through Apple approval. If you set the folio's status to Retail and Public, that's a different story. You need to use iTunes Connect to set up an in-app purchase for that folio, and run it through the approval process. By the way, this is all explained in the companion guide.

• 4. Re: Public vs Private
                minia92 Community Member

It would be more usefull if the PRIVATE publishing enable to see the folio in our dev ipa (even if the app is in store) but hidden to the public

Because when you have an app in store we havent other choice to create a test IPA to test our folio in real circunstances/situation

It is too complicated to test our folio for a app already in store

• 5. Re: Public vs Private

That's a good suggestion. Besides Private and Public, it would be great to have a third status such as "Public Test." I've discussed this with team members, but you might want to file a feature request: www.adobe.com/go/wish.

• 6. Re: Public vs Private
                    minia92 Community Member

Thanks for the link, yes it might be great

• 7. Re: Public vs Private
                      Eli.Shklovsky

Hi Bob,

Is the 3rd status you've suggested is being considered in the next version?

Thanks

Eli

• 8. Re: Public vs Private

Not in the short term. Have you tried submitting the in-app purchase without publishing the folio? I've heard of publishers doing that successfully, but I haven't had a chance to test it myself.