9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2011 12:09 AM by smileybkw

New laptop for CS5

smileybkw

Okay, so we're ready to finally join the big leagues and move from elements up to the real thing -- both photoshop extended and premiere pro 5.5, plus adding illustrator and after effects, which we hadn't had before.  And of course, we have to upgrade our goofy computer to something that'll actually run the new stuff, and we'd like it to be a laptop if possible.  So, my techie guy came up with a system that looks pretty good to me, but wanted to make sure:

HP Pavilion dv7t Quad Edition:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Intel Quad Core i7-2630QM

1GB GDDR5 Radeon HD 6770M

8GB DDR3 memory

750GB 7200RPM hard drive

17.3" display (1600 x 900)

Blu-ray writer & SuperMulti DVD burner

There’s space in the laptop for a second hard drive so we’ll get more storage at SATA speeds

Plus 2 USB 3.0 ports for more additional drives with speedy connection

Opinions?? Thanks!!!

*Brian

• 1. Re: New laptop for CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Change the ATI for a nVidia GTX-460M, get a second SATA disk and it will work, but you really must need a laptop to take the performance hit over a lower priced and better performing desktop. For the same amount of money you can get way better performance and room to grow from a desktop.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New laptop for CS5
            smileybkw Level 1

Hey Harm!  You're just the one I was hoping to hear from, since I've admired your answers to other discussions here.

Yeah, on the desktop thing, our techie priced out a similar HP Pavilion h8xt, with the following configuration:

Genuine Windows 7 Professional [64-bit]

Intel Core i7-2600 quad-core processor

8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM

1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

1GB DDR3 Radeon HD 6670

600W Power supply

Blu-ray writer & SuperMulti DVD burner

Overall, a very similar machine to the laptop with the notable exception of the processor, since the Core i7-2600 is quite a bit higher performance than the 2630QM, but otherwise virtually identical systems.  Price ended up being almost identical.  $1169 for the laptop, $1159 for the desktop, and that's not including a monitor for the desktop which we'd have to buy in addition to the system.  Certainly the desktop would give us easy ability to add more memory and hard drives, but the inital price looks pretty similar.

Meanwhile, we priced out a system we'd build from components, and came up with:

Intel Core i7 2600 LGA 1155 Boxed Processor

$250

ASUS P8P67 R3.1 LGA 1155 P67 ATX Intel Motherboard

$130

Crucial Ballistix Sport Series 12GB DDR3-1600

$80

Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower Computer Case

$40

Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 700W ATX Power Supply

$95

LG 12X SATA Blu-Ray DVD Burner

$90

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit

$150

Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 1.5TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5"

$50

HIS H667F1GD AMD Radeon HD 6670 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe

$85

So we can make it ourselves for right at a thousand dollars (and get 12 gig of memory rather than 8), but dunno if the savings is worth losing customer service and warranty from HP.

On the video card, you prefer the GeForce to the Radeon's in general or you're suggesting that particular card for this situation?  Thanks!!

• 3. Re: New laptop for CS5
              RjL190365 Level 4

Here is the reason why Nvidia cards are preferred in Premiere Pro CS5.x: At this present time the GPU accelerated mode in MPE does not support ATi cards at all. Therefore, systems with ATi cards can run CS5.x only in the software-only mode, which is often 10 to 20 tines slower in timeline renders than the GPU-accelerated mode. In other words, the ATi cards might as well be as slow as or slower than integrated/onboard graphics when it comes to performance in CS5.x.

And on an LGA 1155 system you do not want to go with a triple-channel 12GB kit because the memory controller on the CPU is only capable of dual-channel operation. Three 4GB sticks will either run in a Flex dual/single-channel mode (where the first 8GB runs in dual-channel and the remaining 4GB runs in single-channel), or they will all run only in single-channel mode (depending on the motherboard BIOS support). Instead, go for a quad-module 16GB kit (or for a laptop, 8GB is the maximum cost-effective RAM capacity because laptops with more than two SO-DIMM slots tend to be on the expensive side).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: New laptop for CS5
                smileybkw Level 1

Awesome!!!  Thanks so much for the great response about the nvidia cards.  I really appreciate it.

It meant going back to the drawing board, since HP laptops are *all* ati's.  So we came up with an Asus to look at:

ASUS G73SW-XN2:

Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M

8GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM

500GB hard drive at 7200 rpm

17.3" display at 1920 x 1080

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

1 USB 3.0 port

No blu-ray drive so that’d have to be external

Extra storage would be external

About the same as the HP we'd been considering, but with the 460M Harm recommended, and with a smaller hard drive than anything else we'd considered and it's Windows home edition rather than professional.  Thoughts?

*Brian

• 5. Re: New laptop for CS5
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I believe the G74 is the even better one with room for two internal disks. I woiuld also go for Win7 Pro instead of Home, because of the better network support.

• 6. Re: New laptop for CS5
                    Frédéric Segard

I second the Asus G74SX that Harm suggested.

• 7. Re: New laptop for CS5
                      smileybkw Level 1

Awesome help, everybody!  Thanks so much!  Definitely looking at the Asus G74sx that you've suggested.  In the meantime, priced out a desktop system that I believe fits all the criteria Harm has set out.  What do you think:

Processor:     $250     Intel Core i7 2600

Motherboard:     $130     ASUS P8P67 R3.1 LGA 1155 P67

Video card:     $155     Zotac ZT-50706-10M NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Memory:     $120     Corsair Vengeance Series 16GB DDR3-1600

Operating System HD:     $77     OCZ Technology Solid 3 60GB SLD3-25SAT3-60G SATA

Secondary HD:     $60     Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 1.5TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 7,200 RPM

Optical drive:     $90     LG 12X SATA Blu-Ray DVD Burner

Case:     $55     Cooler Master HAF912 Mid Tower

Power supply:     $95     Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 700W

CPU fan:     $25     Dynatron K987

Whole thing comes in at just over a thousand (plus Windows 7 Professional).  Any thoughts?  Am I on the right track?  Thanks!!

• 8. Re: New laptop for CS5
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Looks good, but only 2 disks. Look here: Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

• 9. Re: New laptop for CS5
                          smileybkw Level 1

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!  Third HD should definitely be possible, since finance director already approved me for a laptop, so if we go the desktop route I'll have extra budget to spare.  Thanks!!