3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 5:09 AM by Priyanka

Can't save symbol to common library?

Figmentos

Hi,
      I'm trying to follow the 'Rapid Protoyping' tutorial. I am supposed to save a custom subol to the Common Library, but when I create it the 'Save to Common Library' box is not highlighted, and can't be selected. When I look at the Common Library from the side panel there is also no 'Custom Symbols' folder.

Any ideas? I'm this is my first time using Fireworks, I need to create some wireframes for an assignment and it's due in two days! lol

Thanks in advance

Oh, I'm using Cs5 and Windows7

• 1. Re: Can't save symbol to common library?
          Priyanka Adobe Employee

Hey,

When you select the option to convert to symbol, you can see two check boxes with one of th options being Save to common library.

You can follow the following steps:

1. Create a rectangle.(or the design that your symbol willl have.)

2. Click on Modify>Symbol>Convert to Symbol or Right-click convert to symbol or press F8 to convert the rectangle to a symbol.

3. In the Convert to symbol dialog, check the "Save to Common Library" option.

4. You'll get a dialog to save the symbol. It is saved in Custom Symbols by default.

The Common Library panel will be refreshed and you can see this in the "Custom Symbols" section inside the common library.

Priyanka.

• 2. Re: Can't save symbol to common library?
            Figmentos Level 1

Thanks for replying, Priyanka.

F8 wasn't working for me unless I pressed ctrl+F8, and the picture below is what I was getting. I tried selecting it from the right-click menu like you said and it works Thanks!

fireworks_screenshot.png

~Liz

• 3. Re: Can't save symbol to common library?
              Priyanka Adobe Employee

I'm glad that it worked for u, Liz