2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 6:42 AM by widevisionllc

Preventing column break with tagged text for varying lengths of text

widevisionllc

I am putting together a neighborhood directory, using two columns of information on 8.5x11 paper.  I am pulling the information from a MySQL database, and then using style tags (tagged text) to format the output.

The problem is that I don't have a standard length for each family's information.  One family might have five lines of information, and another might have 10 lines.  So, I am trying to figure out how to define the start and end of a single section, and then apply a "no column break" tag to it.  I don't want a listing to be divided between two columns.  I could possibly figure out the length of each family's information before I extract it from the database.

Here is a sample of one entry:  (inlcluding the paragraph style definitions)

<ASCII-MAC>

<Version:7><FeatureSet:InDesign-Roman><ColorTable:=<Black:COLOR:CMYK:Process:0,0,0,1><Pape r:COLOR:CMYK:Process:0,0,0,0>>

<DefineParaStyle:Address=<cTypeface:Bold><cSize:10.0><cLeading:13.0><cFont:Minion Pro>>

<DefineParaStyle:Adult=<cTypeface:SemiBold><cSize:9.0><cLeading:10.0><cFont:Minion Pro>>

<DefineParaStyle:PhoneOther=<cTypeface:Plain><cSize:9.0><cLeading:10.0><cFont:Minion Pro>>

<DefineParaStyle:Child=<cTypeface:Italic><cSize:9.0><cLeading:10.0><cFont:Minion Pro>>

<DefineParaStyle:Birthday=<cTypeface:Italic><cSize:9.0><cLeading:10.0><cFont:Minion Pro>>

<DefineParaStyle:Email=<cTypeface:Plain><cSize:9.0><cLeading:10.0><cFont:Minion Pro>>

<ParaStyle:NormalParagraphStyle<pBreakBefore:Column><pBreakBefore:Column>><TableStyle:[Bas ic Table]><TableStart:1,2:0:0<tCellDefaultCellType:Text><tCellFillColor:C=0 M=0 Y=0 K=10>><ColStart:<tColAttrWidth:82>><ColStart:<tColAttrWidth:71>><RowStart:<tRowAttrHeight :15.99688720703125>><CellStyle:[None]><StylePriority:0><CellStart:1,1<tCellAttrLeftStrokeW eight:0><tCellAttrRightStrokeWeight:0><tCellAttrTopStrokeWeight:0><tCellAttrBottomStrokeWe ight:0>><ParaStyle:NormalParagraphStyle<pBreakBefore:Column>><cTypeface:Bold><cSize:11.000 000>Smith<cTypeface:><cSize:><CellEnd:><CellStyle:[None]><StylePriority:0><CellStart:1,1<t CellAttrLeftStrokeWeight:0><tCellAttrRightStrokeWeight:0><tCellAttrTopStrokeWeight:0><tCel lAttrBottomStrokeWeight:0>><ParaStyle:NormalParagraphStyle<pBreakBefore:Column>><pTextAlig nment:Right><cTypeface:Bold><cSize:11.000000>770-555-5678<cTypeface:><cSize:><pTextAlignme nt:><CellEnd:><RowEnd:><TableEnd:>

<ParaStyle:Address><pLeftIndent:12.0>5550 Main Street

<ParaStyle:Adult><pLeftIndent:12.0>David Smith

<ParaStyle:Email><pLeftIndent:12.0>Email: email_address1@comcast.net

<ParaStyle:PhoneOther><pLeftIndent:12.0>Cell: 404-555-1234

<ParaStyle:Adult><pLeftIndent:12.0>Kay Smith

<ParaStyle:Email><pLeftIndent:12.0>Email: email_address2@comcast.net

<ParaStyle:PhoneOther><pLeftIndent:12.0>Cell: 404-555-2345

<ParaStyle:Child><pLeftIndent:12.0>Jim - 1/11/2000

<ParaStyle:Child><pLeftIndent:12.0>Mary - 12/8/2000

I know when a section begins, and I know when it ends.  I tried wrapping everything in a table, so I could apply a no-column-break to the table, but I was unable to get it to work.

Is there a way to enclose one section and include a no-column-break?

Thanks.