17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 10:09 AM by John T Smith

Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?

Rainerfilm

As far as I know, "Matched sequence" means that you will export the file exactly the same as your sequence settings. Adobe says that you can't export to AVCHD, you can only import AVCHD but you have to export to something like MPEG 2.

So what if I export a AVCHD sequence as "Matched sequence"? Will the final export be a AVCHD file or something different?

How do I check if the exported file is a AVCHD file?

• 1. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

"Match Sequence Settings" uses the codec set up for preview files in your sequence settings. With AVCHD, this will be MPEG2 I-frame. You don't want that, nor can you export AVCHD--at all. Why would you want to? What's your export goal?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
            Rainerfilm Level 1

What exactly is I frame?

Will it export as MPEG2 I frame if I have a HDV sequence (with "Match sequence settins" selected)?

• 3. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
              VidMuze Level 1

I always export to a MP4 file format (while using the H.264 codec) for any web or blu-ray projects when using AVCHD footage. 

-Mike

• 4. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
                lasvideo Level 4

I always create a Master by exporting as Proress 422. Then I can strike any dubs of that master by using AME to create what its needed. This way I always have a quality master for the future needs of the client.

• 5. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
                  joe bloe premiere Level 5

To directly answer your question:

Rainerfilm wrote:

What exactly is I frame?

Mpeg encoding uses a Group Of Pictures, or 'GOP' structure.

A GOP consists of 'I', 'B', and 'P' frames.

Essentially, an I-Frame mpeg is encoded with intra coded frames only.

'I' frames contain the full image and do not depend on any preceding or following

frame information for decoding.

The first encoded picture in a GOP is always an 'I' frame, which is is intra coded,

i.e. not coded differentially with respect to other pictures (coded without prediction).

The last encoded frame in a GOP is always an 'I' frame as well.

A 'P'-Frame is forward predicted from a previous reference frame ('I' or 'P' frame).

A 'B' Frame is Bi-directionally predicted from a combination of a preceding

reference frame picture or field picture and a following reference frame

picture or field picture.  Each reference is either an 'I' picture or a 'P' picture.

'B' pictures are never used for prediction of other pictures. Several 'B' pictures

may appear in sequence between 'I' and/or 'P' pictures.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
                    Rainerfilm Level 1

Thank you, I have a basic understanding of MPEG 2.

• 7. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
                      joe bloe premiere Level 5

Then why ask what an 'I' frame is?

An MPEG2 I-frame media file will contain no 'B' or 'P' (predicted) frames,

and as a result will be of higher quality than a long GOP encoded file.

• 8. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
                        Rainerfilm Level 1

So how do you export fotage that was recorded 420 to 422? What is the export settings for this?

• 9. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Just make up a couple of zeroes and pad them to your material. But why? You can't improve on something that is not there in the first place. If looks like you heard about encoding but do not really grasp it.

It looks like: I have a glass of grapefruit juice. How can I export that as whole grapefruits? Simple answer: You can't. Once the material is compressed and information has been thrown away, you can't undo it.

• 10. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
                            Rainerfilm Level 1

That is why I am asking... My question was for lasvideo.

I understood your grapefruit concept before you explained it. If I thought that it was a good idea to export 420 footage to 422 my question would go something like this:

("AWESOME!, can you please explain to me how I can increase the quality of my  420 footage to 422?)

I simply wanted to know how to export a 422 file, that does not mean that I think it is a good idea... Plus I don't re-edit my "already exported" files, I only use my source files to export for obvious reasons.

• 11. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

You still haven't answered the most important question: why do you want to do this? What is your intent with the exported file? Preview? Delivery? Archival? You've given no details to your export requirements, so it's very difficult to make a meaningful recommendation.

• 12. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
                                Rainerfilm Level 1

I am just curious to know.  I want to export future projects at the highest quality possible. It makes sense to me to export AVCHD footage to a AVCHD file because there is less decoding/converting to be done  and thereby less quality loss. That is why I am so curious about exporting as AVCHD.

There is a first time for everything.

My files are mostly AVCHD, 24mbps, 25p, PAL, 1920x1080.

• 13. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

I want to export future projects at the highest quality possible. It makes sense to me to export AVCHD footage to a AVCHD file because there is less decoding/converting to be done  and thereby less quality loss. That is why I am so curious about exporting as AVCHD.

That's a false assumption. Premiere Pro doesn't do "smart encoding" with MPEG-based assets, like AVCHD, so exporting back to AVCHD (if you could, which you can't) will incur a quality hit. That's why it's important to know what you plan to do with the file, so that a realistic solution can be presented.

• 14. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
                                    Rainerfilm Level 1

Thank you for saying that, I did not know that.

Let me give you a few examples and you tell me how you would export these files. All of these files will be in a 25p 1920x1080 AVCHD sequence and (AVCHD, 24mbps, 25p, PAL, 1920x1080) video files.

How would you export this at the best possible quality for :

1.Youtube.

2.Delivery for TV broadcast.

3.Archival use on my computer.

4.To burn to DVD.

5.To burn to blue ray.

6.To upload and sell the footage on a website like shutterstock.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate your time.

• 15. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Rainerfilm wrote:

Thank you for saying that, I did not know that.

Let me give you a few examples and you tell me how you would export these files. All of these files will be in a 25p 1920x1080 AVCHD sequence and (AVCHD, 24mbps, 25p, PAL, 1920x1080) video files.

How would you export this at the best possible quality for :

1.Youtube.

4.To burn to DVD.

5.To burn to blue ray.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate your time.

1.Youtube preset with H.264.

2.What the station demands.

3.Simple data copy of the original.

4.MPEG2-DVD.

5.H.264-BR.

6.What they demand.

• 16. Re: Can you export as AVCHD if you use "Matched sequence"?
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Where it says "Format" that would be the exporter you'd want to use from Premiere Pro or AME.

1.Youtube.

Format: H.264. There is a preset for YouTube 720p that you can use as a baseline; increase the dimensions to 1080p, change the frame rate, and I set the bit rate to 8mbps target/10mbps maximum for my YouTube 1080p uploads. Save this as a preset so you can reuse it later.

That's hard to answer; every broadcaster will want different deliverables. You'll need to check with their requirements. I deliver everything from H.264 MP4s, Avid MOVs, DV AVIs, and HD MPEG2 files--it's sort of a mish-mash so it's not really possible or practical to give you a set number of parameters for this one.

You could use an uncompressed AVI or MOV (Format: Microsoft AVI/QuickTime, Codec: None), but they will be very large files. Why not just keep the footage and the project file? You could also try a lossless codec like the Ut Video Codec Suite or (my preference) Lagarith Lossless Video Codec. Both are free, Windows-only, and appear as codecs under Microsoft AVI. They're both good; they'll be big files as well, but not quite as big as uncompressed.

4.To burn to DVD.

5.To burn to blue ray.

Premiere Pro has specific exporters for both of these; check out Format: MPEG2-DVD for DVD and Format: MPEG2 Blu-ray or H.264 Blu-ray for BD. You can also just send your sequence to Encore and let it pick the best settings based on your desired output format; select your sequence and go to File > Adobe Dynamic Link > Send to Encore.

Just like #2 above, you'll need to check with the specific stock service what their requirements are. They should be pretty simply spelled out, and then you can choose the format and codec based on those requirements. Googling for the particular service and other users' experiences would help, too.