6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 4:12 PM by Mik UK&IT

Dumb and in need of help - inDesign and DejàVu

Mik UK&IT

Hi everybody. What happens is I am a translator who usually works with DejàVu and very simple files (mainly *.doc). This time I have to deal with an original *.indd (an art catalogue). I have tried my best. Dowloaded a trial version of inDesign, exported the *.indd to *.idml so that DejaVu could handle it, but DejàVu, for some reasons, couldn't handle it. It was not a good start, so much the worse as I was even before this scared that my lack of experience would turn out to be fatal (a fully translated file in DejaVu I wouldn't be able to export a day before the deadline, for example).

Now, because I really don't wish to find myself in that scary situation and because my client is very happy to receive a translation of the text in there only, and a *.doc file would suit her fine, I thought I could spare myself the hussle and simply copy the text ONLY from my *.indd into a *.doc. Is that possible? Could you tell me how to do that, considering that I am opening inDesign for the SECOND time and I desperately need detailed directions...

The job is urgent, just for a change.

In the future I promise I will put my mind and my time to it and learn to deal with all of this. Past time I should realize we ARE in the future...

I'd be very grateful if anybody could help.

Michela

• 1. Re: Dumb and in need of help - inDesign and DejàVu
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

If the text in your InDesign file resides in one single long thread (possible spanning more than one page, but still connected), you can export to RTF:

1. Click with the Text Cursor anywhere inside the text.

2. Choose File -> Export. In the dropdown list at the bottom, choose "Rich Text Format (RTF)".

3. For extra bonus points, open the RTF file in Word and re-save as .doc (this is totally unnecessary because every version of Word can also read RTF files, but you never know if the person at the other end of your line knows that as well).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dumb and in need of help - inDesign and DejàVu
            Mik UK&IT Level 1

Thank you, Jongware. I was dreaming of an answer like: you can copy THE WHOLE TEXT in one go, whether it is one thread or multiple ones, above all because two of the files I am going to work on are full of captions and the thing is going to take me ages anyhow. But I suppose that's the best I can get, isn't it?

The problem I am facing now is that I opened the second file (which for some reasons I found it very hard to download from the ftp where it was) and I can't do the same thing, the one you suggested. The cursor when I open the file is a pencil striken through by a line. What does it mean? Hope you can be so kind to eplain this too...

M

• 3. Re: Dumb and in need of help - inDesign and DejàVu
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Mik UK&IT wrote:

Thank you, Jongware. I was dreaming of an answer like: you can copy THE WHOLE TEXT in one go, whether it is one thread or multiple ones, above all because two of the files I am going to work on are full of captions and the thing is going to take me ages anyhow. But I suppose that's the best I can get, isn't it?

For that you can call up the Scripts Panel (it's under Windows, Automation) and run the script "ExportAllStories.jsx". This is somewhere inside the sub-folder Applciation > Samples > JavaScript.

It's kind of dumb in that it exports *all* of the text frames into a separate export file so you still have to paste them together in one single Word file, but at least you know you got all of them.

Mik UK&IT wrote:

The cursor when I open the file is a pencil striken through by a line. What does it mean? Hope you can be so kind to eplain this too...

That layer is locked: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-70e8a.h tml, topic "Lock or unlock layers". In short, call up the Layers Panel, un-lock all of the layers, then try again. (If you are using the ExportAllStories script this might not even be necessary.)

• 4. Re: Dumb and in need of help - inDesign and DejàVu
                Mik UK&IT Level 1

Unlocked! Thank you very much, now I can work with it. Great!

As to what you say here:

For that you can call up the Scripts Panel (it's under Windows, Automation) and run the script "ExportAllStories.jsx". This is somewhere inside the sub-folder Applciation > Samples > JavaScript.

It's kind of dumb in that it exports *all* of the text frames into a separate export file so you still have to paste them together in one single Word file, but at least you know you got all of them.

I don't undestand.Sorry, but I am REALLY dumb. Where is the Scripts panel??

Thanks again,

M

• 5. Re: Dumb and in need of help - inDesign and DejàVu
                  Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're using ID5.5 then with the file open, go to Window menu and then the Utilities option and then Scripts. This should open the Scripts panel with the Application and User folders. Open the Application folder, then Sample Scripts then Java Scripts and double click on the ExportAllStories.jsx script.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Dumb and in need of help - inDesign and DejàVu
                    Mik UK&IT Level 1

Thanks Larry!!! You have been really precious... Tomorrow I am going to have fun opening and closing files with lots of copying and pasting (150)...

M