5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2011 1:57 PM by Jim_Simon

Progressive works for PAL & NTSC?

RFendelman Level 1

I know the difference between PAL and NTSC, however, will a progressive file play on either?

I'm making a video for someone from NY going to show as part of their Powerpoint presentation in Australia and I understand that Australia is PAL.

I really don't know what kind of equipment they will be using.  I can only assume it's a laptop into a projector.

My thoughts have always been that digital/progressive would play in both.   I'm thinking of started my project with the HDV 720P setting.  

Why, because it's HD and that's the settings I use for Youtube which is where this video will also go besides the live presentation.

Thanks in advance for any clarificaton on my question.

• 1. Re: Progressive works for PAL & NTSC?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

If you're producing a video for use in a PowerPoint presentation or any online use, realistically, you don't have to worry about PAL or NTSC. Those are really only considerations for broadcast--computers don't much care about frame size or field order.

If you're working with video as your source, match your sequence to the footage, and export a matching output file. In the PowerPoint or on a computer, it will work just fine. The laptop/computer and the projector will work just fine in concert, and the projector will simply show what the computer is feeding it.

• 2. Re: Progressive works for PAL & NTSC?
            RFendelman Level 1

So, when I go to make a Qt or H.264, there is still a choice for either NTSC or PAL, but you're saying that I can choose either one and it doesn't matter when someone plays it embedded in their PowerPoint presentation.  Are laptops PAL or NTSC?  My client has an NTSC he's using in Australia.

• 3. Re: Progressive works for PAL & NTSC?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Don't choose "either one".  Choose the one that matches the footage.  That one will play fine on any computer, wherever the owner lives.

• 4. Re: Progressive works for PAL & NTSC?
                RFendelman Level 1

There is my confusion.   I choose Export/Media, Format: H.264, the Basic Video Settings box only give you the two bullet point optons for TV Standard: NTSC or PAL.  My sequence is Progressive.  All the Preset choices seem to be either one of them too.

I think I have to approach it differently like I am writing in the following paragraph.....

That is another question I have between choosing Format: H.264 or Quicktime (which is what I really want).

I can choose Format: Quicktime, but all the Presets: are NTSC 720x480.  But, I can choose a different Video Codec:  Whatever I choose, the width/height stays at 720x480.  So, then I change it to my Source setting which is 1280x720.  When I select Field Type: Progressive, the Summary output: , the NTSC goes away.   I guess that is what I want.  

• 5. Re: Progressive works for PAL & NTSC?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

the two bullet point optons for TV Standard: NTSC or PAL.  My sequence is Progressive.

So.  Both NTSC and PAL, both in SD and in HD, can be either progressive or interlaced.  One has nothing to do with the other.  And you can modify any preset you start with if it doesn't exactly match what you need.