6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2011 5:52 AM by Clogg22

several issues I have with AE CS5.5

Clogg22

Hi

Recently I purchased CS5.5 production premium and there are several problems Im dealing with almost daily.

1st: error popups followed by AE crash ae error.jpgtheese are just those I got today! And I wasn't working on nothing more complicated than joining a bunch of photos of clay into animation and adding some sound and colorcorrecting to it..

2nd: when using incl. SA color finesse 3.0 it often doesnt respond to keyframe changes. Example: I edit value of RGB gain, set keyframe, move to different time, change value (set another keyframe) and it takes no effect on the picture. Even during rendering. (Im sure Im doing it right Ive been working as movie compositor for a while..)

3rd: Im not sure if thats the way it is, or Im missing something but in render options there is no "video for windows" (it is there when I run CS4 ver. of AE with wide range of codecs available) There is just AVI and it offers me only like 6 not very handy codecs to choose from.

Im runnig PC with 64-bit Windows 7 Professional

Intel Core i7 CPU Q 720 @1.60GHz 1.60 GHz

4 GB DDR3

1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

I would realy aperciate if you could give me any sugestions with any of my problems. Thank you.

• 1. Re: several issues I have with AE CS5.5
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

There are two things you can do right away:

1) Turn off multiprocessing and LEAVE IT OFF.  4 gigs may seem like a lot, but in terms of AE, it's a bare-bones amount of memory.  It's a cinch you can't use multiprocessing.

2) Turn off Open GL and LEAVE IT OFF.  It's okay to use for previewing, but not for rendering.  Okay, that's not 100% true, just 90% true.  Know that almost every Adobe employee never uses Open GL when rendering in AE.

I think there was some sort of move by Microsoft that didn't allow Adobe to include video for windows any more.  Way to go, Microsoft.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: several issues I have with AE CS5.5
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            (Im sure Im doing it right Ive been working as movie compositor for a while..)

No, you aren't. CF will not animate, unless the main "Parameters" stopwatch is enabled and the "Full Interface" mode invoked at least once. The other controls are merely redundant representations of the internal controls of the full UI, the actual keyframe data is only generated by enabling this one crucial control.

3rd: Im not sure if thats the way it is, or Im missing something but in render options there is no "video for windows" (it is there when I run CS4 ver. of AE with wide range of codecs available) There is just AVI and it offers me only like 6 not very handy codecs to choose from.

Yes, the joy of 64bit software. Most CoDecs are only 32bit and unless someone writes specific adapter code, they are not availbale in 64bit apps.

The rest Dave has answered - your system obviously being a notebook or slimline PC it just isn't that great for MP and the best way to avoid OpenGL crashes is to simply turn it off in the prefs. It's for the most part useless in AE, anyway.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: several issues I have with AE CS5.5
              Clogg22 Level 1

Thank you very much. I cannot belive Ive been using CF 2.0 over year without noticing that "main parameters" thing (feel kinda emabaressed). Thats going to save me a lot of nerves.

About the codecs. I tryed installing K-Lite Codec Pack 64-bit But it seems it didnt take any effect . Isnt there at the moment any elegant way to get for example mpeg-4 or H.264 .avi without having to export in as some other container file (.MOV) and than convert using another program -> loosing even more quality than necesary?

I also turned of openGL (multiprocessing was already off) and today it havent crashed yet. So I guess it is success. (I hope Ill get to extend the RAM by another 4GB soon. That should help as well.)

Thank you again for your replyes.

• 4. Re: several issues I have with AE CS5.5
                Clogg22 Level 1

Dave LaRonde wrote:

There are two things you can do right away:

1) Turn off multiprocessing and LEAVE IT OFF.  4 gigs may seem like a lot, but in terms of AE, it's a bare-bones amount of memory.  It's a cinch you can't use multiprocessing.

2) Turn off Open GL and LEAVE IT OFF.  It's okay to use for previewing, but not for rendering.  Okay, that's not 100% true, just 90% true.  Know that almost every Adobe employee never uses Open GL when rendering in AE.

I think there was some sort of move by Microsoft that didn't allow Adobe to include video for windows any more.  Way to go, Microsoft.

Yes I know 4GB is realy just minimum (at work Ive got 16 and it still doesnt seem enaugh sometime ) and turning off openGL realy seems to help. Thank you very much

• 5. Re: several issues I have with AE CS5.5
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Clogg22 wrote:

... Isnt there at the moment any elegant way to get for example mpeg-4 or H.264 .avi without having to export in as some other container file (.MOV) and than convert using another program -> loosing even more quality than necessary?

First of all that you don't loose quality by exporting as a lossless or nearly lossless product then compressing in a program designed for compression. The quality is better, much better and the file size is smaller.

Secondly, you can open an After Effects project in Adobe Media Encoder directly and encode directly to H264 from there. That's the easiest way to go from an AE project to a highly compressed MPEG format. It may not be the fastest way because it uses dynamic link and therefore limits the processor and CPU allocation, but for most work, especially work that's only destined for highly compressed GOP distribution, it's a very good workflow. The AME (Adobe Media Encoder) has a bunch of standard presets included. The only modifications I'd make would be to make sure multi pass compression is turned on.

• 6. Re: several issues I have with AE CS5.5
                    Clogg22 Level 1

OK. I used AME just once and it got stucked. But Ill reed some manuals on proper use, turn on the multipass compression and give it another shot.

Thank you.