3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 7:05 PM by JEShort01

New SSD Drive For OS - How Should I Config My Drive Scheme Now?

alexdejesus Level 1

I built a new PC in July based on ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard & i7-2600k 3.4 GHz processor w/ Cooler Master V8 heatsink. 16 GB RAM DDR3 Kingston HyperX. ASUS GTX 570 GeForce. Windows 7.

In stock (not OC) configuration, this computer should cruise pretty well. Instead, it is unstable and performance unimpressive. Premiere Pro  CS 5.5 is sluggish with frequent timeline lockups and slow response to media export commands to AME and from with Premiere. After Effects too slow to be practical. Encore frequently crashes. I reboot several times in a typical editing day. I had similar problems with my older computer - that's why I built a new one.

I tried to follow all the tips in this forum for hard drive setup, etc. Benchmarking shows decent times for exports. The problem is, the computer freezes for a while before it responds to the export command, so any speed is negated. The entire Premiere screen grays out, says "not responding" for a minute, then finally AME opens up. Another minute goes by before it starts doing its thing.

I reinstalled CS and Windows several times. Uninstalled Matrox MX02 Mini and its software. Same problem.

I suspected my C Drive could be bad because I frequently get failure messages. Utilities like Norton System Works and System Mechanic Pro almost daily said my registry had errors and drives needed realignment or defrag (OS drive usually)

Having said all that, I went ahead and got an SSD. I now have the following:

120 GB SSD Kingston HyperX - NEW replacement for 1 TB Barracuda SATA 7200.12

2 TB SATA 3 Seagate Barracuda XT - Previews & Pagefile

2 TB SATA 3 Seagate Barracuda XT - Capture Video/Audio

1.5 TB SATA 7200.11 - empty

1.5 TB SATA 7200.11 - Temp OS Drive (Windows 7 and Programs)

2 TB G RAID External - Completed Projects

2 TB NAS Drive - Exported Videos & Backups

I have room for 5 internal hard drives and ample 850 Watts power

I plan on a clean install of Windows rather than cloning the OS drive. What other considerations are important here? Hard drive settings? Why is my C drive partitioned with a reserve?

According to previous tips, pagefile should go on fastest drive, previously one of the SATA 3s. Should it now now go on the SSD?

Should I RAID I have not attempted to overclock until I can get it running smoothly.

• 1. Re: New SSD Drive For OS - How Should I Config My Drive Scheme Now?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Pagefile should not be put on the SSD, but rather on the empty 7200.11. It is not the fastest drive, but with its unreliable nature it is the best drive for the pagefile. The SSD theoretically looks fast but for writes they stink.You should avoid putting any valuable data on the 7200.11 disks if you do not have a sound backup plan. In my case the failure rate of the 7200.11 disks was 5 out of 7.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New SSD Drive For OS - How Should I Config My Drive Scheme Now?
            alexdejesus Level 1

I know you have said to avoid partitioning drives, but Windows 7 creates a reserve 100 MB partition as part of the clean install. Is that a problem? And what is your take on the velociraptor (for pagefile & previews)?

• 3. Re: New SSD Drive For OS - How Should I Config My Drive Scheme Now?
              JEShort01 Level 4

Percoplus,

Suggest:

1) Do a Windows format on your SSD before you load Windows; that way you can skip the strange partition that Win7 install wants to put on a "fresh" drive

2) You will get much better CS5.5 performance with 2 RAID 0 arrays than with individual drives:

- configure 2 2 drive arrays with you matching drives

- remove Windows "indexing" from both arrays; set drive hardware policy to "enable write caching" and "turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing" on both arrays; test both arrays for sustained reads and writes using a utility such as HD Tune Pro (set block size to 2MB) and make sure you are getting at least 100MB/sec performance from both arrays for reads and writes; if you are not, figure out whether you have a driver or drive issue and resolve

3) format the arrays using GPT partitioning and 4k cluster size

4) put projects/media on the fastest array; put scratch, media cache, media cache DB, and export to the other array

Your system should NOT be sluggish, unless you have something wrong at this point!

Test with PPBM5 and make sure results line up with similar cpu/drive systems.

Regarding where to put Windows pagefile, it doesn't really matter too much since you have 16GB of RAM and Windows will not be needing the pagefile for much. I'd probably put it on the slower RAID array.

Regards,

Jim