4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2011 5:08 AM by BobLevine

word doc import problems 3

graham newman Level 1

hi all,

i need to import a word doc into indesign cs3 that is 150 pages long so i need to see if i can automatically correct this issue.

the document is a series of interviews so it goes question followed by answer etc.

the questions are bolded in word but not formatted in any way. they just used the bold button. [screegrab from word below]

i've created a paragraph style in indesign called 'question' which applies colour, bolding and a space-after setting.

i would like to apply the style to each question, but clicking on each question in indesign and using my short key comand to apply it would be torture.

any advice greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance, Graham.

Picture 2.png

Message was edited by: graham

• 1. Re: word doc import problems 3
          graham newman Level 1

wow,

i can answer my own question!

i'm chuffed.

i have to thank Bob Levine for helping me take a look at Find/Change a little closer.

in InDesign u need to click in your text box and choose File > Place and place your word copy.

then chose Edit > Find/Change and in the first Text tab at  the bottom is Find Format and Change Format.

Find Format, is where you choose, in my case, Times and Bold.

Change Format, is where you choose your paragraph or character style, in my case, 'Questions'

then just press Change All.

do i get 10 points for that or what?

regards, Graham.

• 2. Re: word doc import problems 3
            Michael Gianino Level 4

Another option you could consider is revolving paragraph styles. Each paragraph style has a Next Style: field. If you make one style for the questions (in bold) and one for the answers (in Roman), you can set the next style for the answers style to the questions style, and vise-versa. If you were typing, you would start by applying the question style, typing the question and hitting return. All you have to do is keep typing, as the paragraph style for the answer has already been selected. At the end of the answer, hit return and you're back to the question style.

If you want to apply these revolving styles to text you already have (like the text you imported from Word), you select it all, and Right-Click (or Control-Click if you have a Mac with a one-button mouse) on the Question style, and select Apply "Question" then Next Style from the fly-out menu.

The drawback would be if (for example) one of your answers was  more than one paragraph, as it would apply the question style to the second paragraph of the answer, followed by the answer style to the next question and so on. If that were the case, you could select from the second paragraph of the answer (the part that is styled as a question) and select to the end of the text by holding shift and command (Mac) and hitting the End key. Once selected, you just apply the answer style and next.

• 3. Re: word doc import problems 3
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

graham newman wrote:

..  u need to click in your text box and choose File > Place and place your word copy.

then chose Edit > Find/Change and in the first Text tab at  the bottom is Find Format and Change Format.

Find Format, is where you choose, in my case, Times and Bold.

Change Format, is where you choose your paragraph or character style, in my case, 'Questions'

then just press Change All.

The procedure is well explained in the online help.

Usually, Bob's advice for the non-plussed includes pointers to a good book to read and some movies to see: How long does it take to learn InDesign?

• 4. Re: word doc import problems 3
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Typical newbie advice:

1.       Sandee Cohen’s Visual Quick Start Guide: http://amzn.to/pEJ2Lf

2.       Lynda.com. This link will get you a free one week trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Bob