2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 10:49 AM by Don Kerr

GridItemEditor DropDownList

Don Kerr Level 3

How do I use a dropdownlist with ArrayCollection dataProvider, inside a spark DataGrid GridItemEditor?  [The ComboBoxGridItemEditor doesn't work with ArrayCollections].

my dropDownlist dataProvider, officesDP, contains ID, name for each office

my grid's dataProvider contains officeID.

I need the  dropdownlist's selectedItem (ID) to be set to the grid's data.officeID value.  When a new office is selected, it should update the grid's dataProvider to reflect the new officeID.

I get the dropdown populating no problem using the code below.  However, I get a warning that binding to data.officeID won't be detected.  Why does data not exist?

<s:GridColumn dataField="office" headerText="office">

<s:itemEditor>

<fx:Component>

<s:GridItemEditor>

<s:DropDownList  labelField="name" selectedItem="{data.officeID}"    dataProvider="{FlexGlobals.topLevelApplication.officesDP}">

<fx:Script>

<![CDATA[

import mx.core.FlexGlobals;

]]>

</fx:Script>

</s:DropDownList>

</s:GridItemEditor>

</fx:Component>

</s:itemEditor>

</s:GridColumn>

How do I set and change the selectedItem in the grid's dataProvider?

Thanks!

Don

• 1. Re: GridItemEditor DropDownList
          Don Kerr Level 3

for some reason GridItemEditor doesn't support binding to data.  Had to go with GridItemRenderer.

I would have expected the selectedItem property of the dropdown or combobox to bind to the row's value by default. But, I couldn't get it to work.

to solve this problem, I ended up using my BindableSparkComboBox component. 

Here is the working code.

<s:GridColumn dataField="office"  rendererIsEditable="true" headerText="office">

<s:itemRenderer>

<fx:Component>

<s:GridItemRenderer>

<fx:Script>

<![CDATA[

import mx.events.FlexEvent;

import spark.events.IndexChangeEvent;

import mx.core.FlexGlobals;

protected function pickme():void

{

data.officeID = cb.selectedItem.ID;

data.office = cb.selectedItem.name;

}

]]>

</fx:Script>

<local:BindableSparkComboBox xmlns:local="*"  change="pickme();"  

dataProvider="{FlexGlobals.topLevelApplication.officesDP}" id="cb" requireSelection="true" prompt="Office"

selectedItem="{data.officeID}"  valueField="ID" labelFields="[name]"/>

</s:GridItemRenderer>

</fx:Component>

</s:itemRenderer>

</s:GridColumn>