9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2011 4:11 PM by ChazzzS

How do I complete an AVI project?

ChazzzS

I have not able to burn a DVD.  A Dialogue Box appears after 1%  of loading "Adobe Premier Elements is running very low in system memory.  Please save your project and proceed with caution," along with transcoding error.  After several attempts of trying at different unsuccessful methods I made the slide show completely in Photoshop Elements 9 and brought it over to Premier Elements 9 to burn a DVD.  I made a VCD in PSE9 without any problem.

I am now creating a AVI project, which appears to be moving along, and am followingI (Steve Griseeti's) tip from the discussion dated Feb 21, 2011, "How can I Work through a Burn DVD problem?" and I am now to creating this AVI.  The problem is after I save this AVI project, my knowledge has some limits, I don't know how to follow on the next move. 

1.  How do I delete all of my video and then place the AVI on the timeline in place of the deleted Video?

2.  I have 212GB of free space on my hard drive.

• 1. Re: How do I complete an AVI project?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1 - don't delete... create a new project and import the AVI you created

User Guide PDF http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/index.html

Right click the PDF link in the upper right corner and select to save to your hard drive

-the page also has links to help pages for previous versions

• 2. Re: How do I complete an AVI project?
            Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

What I would do is start a new project i.e. XXXXXX Final Cut.

Then I would import the finished AVI file into the project and burn it to DVD.

I have also found that PE is sensitive to the files being fragmented.

When I have a project in the works I defragment the drive or the folders that the project is before proceeding.

This has actually made the difference between whether it would work or not on some projects.

I also shut down and restart the program just before burning the project to disk, to clear out any thing using resources.

I use Defraggler to defrag my files it's free and works really well.

And you can chose to defrag what you want or the whole drive.

I run it several times a day when I'm working on big files.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_defraggler/

Mike

• 3. Re: How do I complete an AVI project?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For the Low Memory/Respources error, can you give us the full specs. of your computer, and especially the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, controller type, amount of degragmented free space, and how you have them allocated.

Also, see this ARTICLE. It starts with a generl checklist, and then offers many links for troubleshooting. For the above errors, see the Clean, Lean & Mean Editing Machine link.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How do I complete an AVI project?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

ChazzzS was having a problem, adding the requested info, so here it is:

I have the following, Intel Core 2 processorQ6600 (2.40Ghz. 1066FSB w/ QuadCore Technology and  8MB cach - 500GB NCQ Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB dataBurst Cache.  Windows 32 Bit Vista.

Thanks for the posted information.  I am at 50% of saving to AVI.  I think I may attempt the selective start up and eliminate, temporarilly, some programs and attempt once more the original slide show.  It is approximately 57 minutes and almost 100% transitions with a sound track.  This is my fourth try at making a DVD in Premier and I was able to complete them although they were never this large.  Hope the above information helps.

Thanks again,

ChazzzS

[Added by Hunt]

• 5. Re: How do I complete an AVI project?
                  ChazzzS Level 1

Thanks for the input on my problem.  I attempted to create an AVI project and was unable to complete it.  ("Error compiling movie") and it was an unknown error and the low memory came up again.  I spent 8 hours and it reached 100 % into the AVI project when crashing.  I am giving up (Surrendering on the AVI project and will reduce the size of the slide show and try again.  Thanks again for the information.

• 6. Re: How do I complete an AVI project?
                    VDOSurfer Level 3

What is the amount of RAM? Low memory warning is seen in cases where the available RAM Is less. And as Nohjekim suggests, defrag should help before starting the project

• 7. Re: How do I complete an AVI project?
                      ChazzzS Level 1

I don't believe memory is the problem I have 4GB ram.  I would like to report that I completed my project, although not with Adobe Premier Elements 9.  I went back and edited the slide show, in Adobe Photshop Elements 9  and reduced it by approx. ten (10) minutes and then tried again to make a DVD in Premier Elemtnts 9and achieved the same failure results.  I went back to PSE9 and changed the file to WMV and brought it into Windows DVD Maker and completed the project without any difficulty. Thanks for the input.

• 8. Re: How do I complete an AVI project?
                        Nohjekim Level 1

Hi

For what it's worth I've found that using WMV files give me less problems, I export almost all my video as WMVs now.

This probably has a lot to do with them being smaller but I get good results as long as I keep the reselution high enough.

I still import everything into PE as AVIs, because that's what my other software outputs.

When I first started using PE4 I used to have all kinds of problems importing and exporting things, sometimes I would have to run it through Windows Moviemaker first to get it to import into PE, now I just don't seem to have those probems at all.

Mike

• 9. Re: How do I complete an AVI project?
                          ChazzzS Level 1

Hello,

Thank for the information. Just learning the ropes of the forum.  I'm  glad

to learn that this solution works if the other fails.

In a message dated 10/18/2011 6:45:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Re:  How do I complete an AVI project?

created by Nohjekim (http://forums.adobe.com/people/Nohjekim)  in 

Premiere Elements - View the full  discussion

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/3978141#3978141)