1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 16, 2011 3:45 AM by Peter Spier

How to  generate a ToC with  hierarchical grouping?

notannsteer Level 1

ok - I have a long docuemtn - with many entries per page  - created from data merge. My first field is type of industry, then I have name of grant . The name of grant is unique. Teh industry is one of 10 categories. What I'd like is ot generate a ToC that lists the industry - then below that  all teh grants that fall into that category. The 2 items are all tagged individually and I can genrate a ToC no problem  but I keep gettign the  Level 1  heading [the industry] repeated  for each grant [level2] as in the sample below.

Arts and Culture

New Work – Music

Arts and Culture

Presentation and Promotion - Music

Arts and Culture

Cultural Leadership Skills Development - Theatre

Arts and Culture

ArtLab - Inter-Arts

when what I  want is:

Arts and Culture

New Work – Music

Presentation and Promotion - Music

Cultural Leadership Skills Development - Theatre

ArtLab - Inter-Arts

Any help is greatly appreciated

Ann

• 1. Re: How to  generate a ToC with  hierarchical grouping?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

TOC is not going to do this for you without a lot of trickery --if you search here you should be able to find the threads I've written about using TOC to generate an index to advertisers for display ads, which can be done using non-printing "tags" that have numerical prefixes which control the sort order and categories. That method could also be used for this, but you already have text and it's a lot of work to set up (perhaps add a filed to the merge?), however what you are describing really looks to me like an Index, not a TOC, except perhaps for the sorting order. I'd take a look at Indexing options, including possibly scripting options (http://www.indiscripts.com/category/projects/IndexMatic).