3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2011 7:52 AM by Frédéric Segard

SSD and CS5

Heirloom Bob Level 1

I am considering a performance upgrade on my Windows 7 machine, to a SSD. I plan to put Windows 7 on the drive along with CS5, InDesign and Lighroom. Is this the route to go to maximize performance of this software? I plan to use my current C Drive (HDD) as my scratch disk and will continue with my photo library on my cuurent C  Drive as well. Have I planned this out properly?

Bob

• 1. Re: SSD and CS5
          Heirloom Bob Level 1

I apologize...wrong forum.

• 2. Re: SSD and CS5
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Any use of a SSD as a boot drive will not help Premiere performance

• 3. Re: SSD and CS5
              Frédéric Segard Level 2

Regardless of the forum or software, a general guideline with SSDs is that you should avoid constant repetitive writes. In other words, pagefile, temporary files, scratch disks, etc, are what's going to eventually degrade the SSD's performance. Using an SSD for OS and programs is fast for boot and load times, albeit expensive, but all the above mentioned tasks should be redirected to a standard HDD, or better yet, a RAID0 to speed things up. But that depends a lot on the space you have in your desktop computer. And if you have a laptop, then perhaps a hybrid HDD+SSD could be an option. Also, a thing to note with SSD's: never defragment an SSD.