11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2011 3:32 AM by Rtay2799

A problem in rendering has arisen on all my files?

Rtay2799

The red line in timeline will not render when Enter is keyed. The WAB brackets are in place at the beginning 00:00:00:02 and end  00:01:22:18 of the clip. The WAB areais a consistent grey. I tried renderng thru' the share tab and when idicated as a PC file it did show a processing bar to 100%.. But the original clip was unchanged : red bar .  I checked other files but they all had the same sympton - red bar would not render. As a result I cannot export my files to an .avi format since the export function is "greyed out".

I then tried to re-install my Version 9 disk. No change.    

My o/s is Windows 7. If you need pc system details let me know.

Anybody able to answer this question.

Thanks Rtay2799

• 1. Re: A problem in rendering has arisen on all my files?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Once you know exactly what it is you are editing, report back with that information... and your project setting, and if there is a red line above the video in the timeline, which indicates a mismatch between video and project

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: A problem in rendering has arisen on all my files?
            Rtay2799 Level 1

Thanks Bill, I did as you said. But the codec details from g-spot are not as expected. The Container details are:

File Type: XML Document (.XML)

Mime Type: application/ xhtml + xml

No other info is filled out and the red line stays above the video in the timeline.

The source of the files is a .mov file captured from a Nikon picture camera (video feature).

It occurs to me that this non-rendering problem is on new files after installation of Version 9 of PRE.

Would it be worth checking opening the file in version 7 which was my previous program. I will try this but something tells me that this will not solve the problem. The pity is I've been editing these files for quite a while... a lot of wasted time.

Unless you can come up with something as a solution.

Rtay2799

• 3. Re: A problem in rendering has arisen on all my files?
              Rtay2799 Level 1

I should also give you the Project settings:

Under video rendering, the maximum bit depth is un-checked.

under Previews the File format is Microsoft AVIDV NSTC (greyed out)

Compressor: DV NSTC (greyed out)

The Configure button is also not accessible (greyed out)

Thanks

Rtay2799

• 4. Re: A problem in rendering has arisen on all my files?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should not have to go to the Share tab to render your timeline. When you "Share" you output a finished file from your project.

To render the red-lined segments on your timeline, select Render from the Edit menu or simply press the Enter key.

When your timeline is rendered, the red line will turn green.

BTW, your project is set up to work with miniDV footage. What model of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

• 5. Re: A problem in rendering has arisen on all my files?
                  VDOSurfer Level 3

By files, John meant the video files used within the project. Not the *.prel file. That is a project file and it only contains the information needed to load a project (like location of the files, the key frames etc.).

What rendering does is to create another file out of the contents in the timeline. Since that file is in a format easy to playback, the playback is smooth on render.. And as Steve said, rendering is ONLY for playback, not for export. Once rendered, the bar on the timeline turns green indicating that this new file generated is ready for playback. when you hit play in Premiere Elements.

Save and Close the priject and then reopen the project. Now try rendering..

Could you try to delete the rendered files from the project? Go to Timeline -> Delete Rendered files. That will ensure there are no rendered files available and on rendering, the timeline HAS to render..

You can also clear the Media Cache and see if conforming or indexing has not done something right. To do this, go to Edit -> Preferences -> ScratchDisks. Look for the path mentioned in the Media Cache section and delete that. Reopen the project and try to render it this time.

One of these should work. Else, Steve is always there

• 6. Re: A problem in rendering has arisen on all my files?
                    Rtay2799 Level 1

Thank you all who responded.

VDO Surfer: I've tried closing and reopening project and then tried to render. No change.

It appears that something is stopping the rendering process, since if you hold down the Enter key, you can see the dialog box fluttering on and off on the screen, ie. the progress bar showing % complete and estimated time to complete. But it won't initiate the process.

I also went to timeline-> Delete Rendered files. But it did not render when Enter is keyed.

Lastly I looked at the Media cache by Edit->Preferences-> ScratchDisks but following the path mentioned in the Media Cache didn't find the file to delete. The path was C:\Users\richard\appdata\roaming\adobe\common\. I tried changing the button labeled Custom to other options Same as Project and My Documents but this caued no change.

Steve: I understand what you are saying about Share, but I only tried that since it at least showed a progress bar of rendering. As noted above, nothing will initiate the rendering by the Enter key or the Timeline -> Render work areas.

I'm also puzzled by the File-> Export function being "greyed out". will the options be available once the timeline bar turns green?

I was not aware that the project settings were for miniDV. The footage in the clip I am trying to render comes from my Nikon P6000 set in the video mode rather than taking single digital  images. I transfered the video clips direct from the camera to my computer via USB cable, they are listed as an .avi file not .mov as previously indicated. I use a Panasonic AGDVC30 as my regular camcorder.

I mentioned that I recently installed Verson 9 of PREL and wondered if using the newer version on a previous file done on Version 7 may be a problem. But only some of my files have the rendering problem, others render from red to green correctly when changes are made.

I hope all this gives you something to chew on... I'm not sure what the next steps should be?

Richard (Rtay2799)

• 7. Re: A problem in rendering has arisen on all my files?
                      Rtay2799 Level 1

Something I need to clarify:

I've now checked 2 large files opened up with PREL version 9 and they both work in the rendering mode, showing a short red line at the point where changes are made. This turns green when Enter keyed.

EVERYONE of my pre-version 9 files which were initiated in version 7 show an unbroken red line from start to finish which wll not render when ENTER is keyed. There are numerous "old" files which I haven't opened for years which have not been changed which now cannot be rendered. Nor can the files be exported since this function is greyed out.

It appears to me that a fix for updated files prior to version 9 needs to be found.

Richard (Rtay2799)

• 8. Re: A problem in rendering has arisen on all my files?
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

No. I think you may be just a bit confused about what those red and green lines mean, Richard.

A red line means a sequence needs to be rendered. A green line means it has been rendered. And no line -- just gray -- means that the program can use your files as is. That's how it's designed to work.

Likewise, File/Export was disabled a couple of generations ago. All Export functions have now been moved to the Share tab.

Unless I'm missing something, everything you've described means that the program is working exactly as it should be working.

• 9. Re: A problem in rendering has arisen on all my files?
                          Rtay2799 Level 1

No, I am confused about a lot of things but I understood exactly what those red and green lines mean  as you described.

But as I say in the previous post "files... show an unbroken red line from start to finish which wll not render when ENTER is keyed."

Files which were started in the version 7 and have been opened in version 9 are un-renderable since the solid unbroken red line will not update to a green line when Enter is keyed.

For instance, if i were to place a cross dissolve (transition) on all my cuts in the video clip, I would expect to see a series of short red lines matching where the dissolve occurs. Normally when  Enter is keyed these would change to green lines with grey between each changed location.

Since all my files now have a continuous unbroken red line any changes I make cannot be updated (or rendered) because the key function Enter does not work. If you read my description (previous post #7) of holding down the Enter key, a ghost-like image of the rendering dialog box can be seen but no rendering takes place and the continuous red line stays unchanged. I have no green line to confirm that rendering has taken place.

Sorry to be so persistant but somehow one of us is not getting the point across..... and your extensive experience should make your opinion the correct one!! But I can only see that the end result is all my pre-version 9 files are stuck in a no-change / edit status with no rendering feature.

Thank you for clarifying the Export function is disabled, and I will use the Share tab to access those functions.

Richard (Rtay2799)

• 10. Re: A problem in rendering has arisen on all my files?
                            VDOSurfer Level 3

Could you just alter the contents in the timeline, ever so slightly, and try to render again? I mean since the project in its current "state" refuses to render, why not just change it a bit and try again... More so since the other projects do render.

• 11. Re: A problem in rendering has arisen on all my files?
                              Rtay2799 Level 1

I've tried that on two pre-V9 files..minor cutting editss and transitions. Both files failed to render and the red line is unchanged and unbroken ..

Two post-V9 files initiated in the new program render and update flawlesly.

Richard (Rtay2799)