6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2011 8:10 PM by VDOSurfer

Editing video from Canon G12 still digital camera

PatC-Force10

Can someone give me some advice please? I have downloaded a trial version of Adobe Premiere Elements 9, and am having a bit of trouble.

I want to edit some very short video segments taken with my new Canon PowerShot G12 still digital camera. I have downloaded the videos from the camera using the canon software, and also tried using Picasa.
      Both worked ok.  I can view the videos in both the Picasa software and in the Canon software, however am unable to view them in the Adobe PE9 software. They seem to import into Elements, but when I try to view them I get a blank (white) screen, however the audio plays correctly.

I am new to editing, and have learned a lot from all the user forums. Much more than I ever wanted to know about the internals of compression, codecs, etc.

My current system is an older Lenovo system ThinkPad SL510 (2847-2JU), running Windows XP Pro.

With only 2GB RAM, 160GB 5400rpm HD. At the current time there is just one drive for data. (I also have an external 1 TB drive, but not using it at the moment for this, just fpr backup)

I just wanted to testdrive the PE9 system with a small video clip. Is this older system big enough to run PE9? Or should I just go buy a mac………

I have tried to do all the things suggested in the forums –

- XP was up to date with Service Packs

- updated drivers (seemed to already have the latest drivers already installed)

- looked for codecs - tried to convert a few things. nothing seemed to help, but I was a little overwhelmed (ok - I knew what some of the words meant, but.....)

Not much information on the net – seems that this is problem for others, and no one has solved it for PE9 and Canon HDfrom still cameras. Please tell me if I am wasting my time. Or if there is an easy conversion software fix that would work to convert the HD files to something PE9 can view. or if it's my small system that is to blame.

Thanks very much…..

• 1. Re: Editing video from Canon G12 still digital camera
          nealeh Level 5

I think you will always struggle with only 2GB RAM. I suggest you uninstall the PRE9 trial and install the PRE10 trial - it has performance improvements (although not everyone is seeing them). PRE10 also adds support for more cameras so may fix your issue.

Please analyse your video clip with the GSpot Codec Information Utility and post the screen image here. That will let us see what actual format your clip is.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Editing video from Canon G12 still digital camera
            PatC-Force10 Level 1

Thanks - I forgot to say I did this a couple of weeks ago. Here is the screenshot:

gspot_mvi_0908_jpg.JPG

thanks for your reply

• 3. Re: Editing video from Canon G12 still digital camera
              VDOSurfer Level 3

There were some problems reported for trial users for AVCHD, and Adobe released a patch. Can you go to Help->Updates and download the patch and then let us know if the problem is still seen? Yes, the patch works for trial users as well. (If I am not wrong, it is targeted for trial users)

• 4. Re: Editing video from Canon G12 still digital camera
                PatC-Force10 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded the 9.01 update and installed it. I then opened Organizer, and was informed that it couldn't initialize Quicktime (although I had reinstalled it when I had my first issue a couple of weeks ago). I redownloaded Quicktime and installed it, and was able to view the clips with audio (actually never tried going into Organizer directly before, just went straight into PE).  I thought maybe my problem was solved, but ........when I opened a test project in PE and tried to look at the clips they still gave the same behaviour - no video, but audio worked.  I have not deleted the media files from PE Organizer and tried to re-import them. Do you think that would make a difference???

I have not tried to uninstall PE9 and install PE10 yet, because I live in the country and have a daily download limit of about 150MB, unless I download between 12 midnight and 5 am. I will try to do that tonight, and see what happens.  Unless anyone has some other suggestions now for PE9.  Thanks for everyone's assistance. I'm finding this a lot of work, and I hope it will eventually be successful. Maybe someone has another suggestion for a video editing software package that might work better for me????

• 5. Re: Editing video from Canon G12 still digital camera
                  nealeh Level 5

I had a similar problem with some footage from a Hitachi camcorder. In PRE9 only the audio worked and in PRE10 only the Video worked !!!

The solution for PRE10 (on a W7-64 PC) was to install the 64-bit version of the free Direct Show import filter ffdshow as the 64-bit PRE10 does not include its own DirectShow filter.

That worked for me so I haven't revisited PRE9 but what might be worth you trying is to:

1. Create a System Restore point.
                  2. Download and install ffdshow (to match your windows version 32-bit or 64-bit).
                  3. Restart your PC.
                  4. Try to import again.
                  5. If all is fine then hooyaa!
                  6. If no difference then uninstall ffdshow.
                  7. Restore from your earlier System Restore point.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Editing video from Canon G12 still digital camera
                    VDOSurfer Level 3

Is the display driver updated? Can you let me know if the system resources max out during playback? Check Task Manager->Performance tab.