7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2011 3:11 PM by CHKNCHKR

Adobe Reader X; Update Error Message when Opening PDF

CHKNCHKR

When I open a PDF file a dialog box pops open asking how to handle Adobe Reader updates; then everything freezes: i.e. I cannot change, close, dismiss, the dialog box or the file. I have to re-boot in order get rid of it.  Been using AR for years (always updating) and have never run into this problem.  Using Win XP and Firefox.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader X; Update Error Message when Opening PDF
          AbhigyanModi Adobe Employee

Go to control panel, add remove programs. Select Adobe Reader and select Repair and see if that helps.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader X; Update Error Message when Opening PDF
            CHKNCHKR Level 1

I followed your directions two different times; and re-booted after each Repair.  However, the program/file continues to freeze with the same error/update message.  Do you have any other thoughts as to what will correct this problem?

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader X; Update Error Message when Opening PDF
              Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

Is the issue happening with all the PDFs that your trying to launch or only with a specific PDF.

Please try and launch the following PDF and see if the problem reoccurs:

kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Enterprise_Administration.pdf

Thanks

Ankit

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader X; Update Error Message when Opening PDF
                CHKNCHKR Level 1

No the error message does not occur on every .pdf file.  I'm beginning to think that it only occurs on "converted" files.  Upon looking thru my files, I found an identical .pps copy of the same file.  Power Point  would open and run the .pps file.  However, every time I attempt to open the .pdf version, the error message pops up and the file freezes the page and all functions.  I am attaching the .pdf version of the file to see if the same problem happens to you.  I do not know if we can attach files in this forum.  Thus, it it dose not arrive with this posting please let me know how to let you access the file.Meanwhile, the file that you have refferenced (below) has given me a 404 Error stating that the "Page is not available".

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader X; Update Error Message when Opening PDF
                  Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Thanks for providing the necessary information.

There seemed to be a space inserted in the link above, hence the error message at your end. Please check the below link and see if the same issue happens therein as well:

kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Enterprise_Administration.pdf

Since, you wouldnt be able to attach files with the forum replies, you will have to upload the file somewhere and provide me with the link.

Also, it would be great if you could let me know how exactly is it that you are converting the PPS files to PDF? Are you using Adobe Acrobat to convert the files or are you using some other 3rd party tool.

In the meanwhile, you can also try doing the following and let me know if the same behavior is experienced:

1. Close all instances of AcroRd32.exe from the task manager.

2. From the Start > Run window, type regedit and hit Enter

3. Locate the following registry hive:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\ARMUser

4. Create the following registry value:

Name :bDeclined

Type  :DWORD

Value :1

5. Close Registry Editor and now try to launch the PDF file causing the crash. Does the application freeze now as well?

Thanks for all your help

Ankit

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader X; Update Error Message when Opening PDF
                    CHKNCHKR Level 1

Thanks Ankit.The new link that you sent, worked excelent.  I had no problems opening, reading, or scrolling thru the file. In answer to your "conversion" question ---  I do not know how it was done; because I did not do it.  The file was E-mailed to me as a .PDF attachment.  When I saved the .PDF file, I noticed a similarly named file in .PPS format that I had received a lengthly time ago.  Upon opening the .PPS file, I realized that it was the same content; whereas the 1st page contains the  same information on both formats.  (I can open the .PDF file; and view the 1st page because it takes several seconds before the dialog box pops up and obscures approx 1/4 % of the page; but at all times everything is non-responsive.  Also, when the .PDF page opens, there is a small black dialog balloon pointing at the "TOOLS" button telling me to click "TOOLS" if I want to forward it; but that is also non-responsive and cannot be closed).  Both files are very close in size; thus I'm sure they came from the same original file.That brings us to the last 2 points that you stated:  Posting the attachment elsewhere and sending you the link --- I do not presently use any service that would allow me to do that; and Creating A Registry Value -

I have never written to the registry and have no idea what a "Registry Value" is.  Thus, it will take me a short while in order to determine what it is; looks like; and create it. I will get back to you on those portions.I truly appreciate your help on this problem.  ThanksGerard

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader X; Update Error Message when Opening PDF
                      CHKNCHKR Level 1

Hi Ankit,Sorry about the delay; but, as I mentioned -

I'm unfamilier with changing the Registry.  That being said, I did the following:I removed Adobe Reader X via the control panel (complete deletion)I then ran Disk DefragmenterI Downloaded and Installed a fresh copy of AD -X.The troublesome file(s) acted exactly the same as originally described; i.e.: the Update Dialog box appeared; and the "Tool Balloon" could not be closed without re-booting or using File Manager -- Exit Now...I opened RegEdit and followed your directions.  However, there was no folder by the name of  "ARNUser"so I created a file with the values that you stated and re-bootedWhen I opened the troublesome file --- the "Tool" balloon appeared and couldn't be closed; but the "Update Dialog" box no longer appears.  However, I cannot scroll; exit; nor receive any type of 'right click" response from the file.I hope that this sheds additional light on the problem for you.Thank you,Gerard