9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2011 1:16 PM by Frédéric Segard

i970 vs i7-2600k [overclocked ] for video editing

rperry jr

I was going with i7-970 processor ..6 cores..read great things about it and with that I could get 24gb rams..however someone  said to forget about it .its on its way out ,that Sandy Bridge is the way to go.

..I guess I'll go along with him .[.he is a very qualified expert ] but it would seem to me 6 cores with 24gb ram  is better than the 4 on i7-2600k [overclockd].with just 16gb ram .

Its  going to be a new nle system with 2 RAID 0 arrays of 2x1  gb each  and a 1gb system drive .All hard drives will be western digital black cavier .Either comp will have a nvidia gtx 570 card..however 1 will have the 1gb ram ,the other the 2gb card ..the 2gb 570 has initials hd after the number..what is that # for ?

I'll be buying Premiere Pro cs5.5 and Photoshop cs5.

I mainly create photo-video family history albums .

hundreds upon hundreds of pictures with transitions ..with multi-images in same scene ,sometimes with a hd video background ...

creation of 30-40 minute segments that I add music to and when done bring all segments together and put on dvd in Encore .

Any suggestions will be very helpful to me .

Thanks

• 2. Re: i970 vs i7-2600k [overclocked ] for video editing
          Harm Millaard Level 7

With the choice of disks, raid configuration and the nature of your editing, the i7-2600K is much more affordable the the i7-970.The 970 is faster with AVCHD encoding due to the hexa core contra the quad core, but at nearly double the price, does it really matter in your situation? Since you do not express the intention to go for a dedicated raid controller and your choice of hard disks almost precludes that option, the Z68 mobo with the 2600K makes more sense IMO.

• 3. Re: i970 vs i7-2600k [overclocked ] for video editing
            rperry jr Level 1

Thanks Harm ! I have been reading your posts for quite a while and I know that you know so much about hardware setups . I thank you for sharing your knowledge so freely.

I almost certainly will go with the i7-2600k.

I'll be having ADK put the unit together for me ..I've spoken with Eric a couple of times and he is quite knowledgeable and very helpful .

I will ask him tomorrow but I'll ask you now ..is it a preferred thing to have a dedicated raid controller ? and is that expensive ?

Thank you very much sir..I look forward in the future to reading more of your insights into computer video editing.

Sincerely , Ray

• 4. Re: i970 vs i7-2600k [overclocked ] for video editing
              Harm Millaard Level 7

For striped arrays a raid cotroller is not needed, but for parity arrays it is highly recommended. Parity raids on the mobo are just too slow. However these cards are expensive, think $ 500 for a controller with limited ports (8) up to $ 1200 for a top controller with a large cache memory and many (16) ports.

Examples: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118105 for $ 519 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151093  for $ 1199.

One drawback of the Sandy Bridge mobo's is that installing such a raid controller means that the videocard no longer runs @ 16x but only @ 8x on the PCIe bus.

• 5. Re: i970 vs i7-2600k [overclocked ] for video editing
                Frédéric Segard Level 2

Harm Millaard wrote:

One drawback of the Sandy Bridge mobo's is that installing such a raid controller means that the videocard no longer runs @ 16x but only @ 8x on the PCIe bus.

What?  Are you sure about that????  I thought that most Sandy Bridge mobos had 36 lanes? Especially those that support SLI. Now I'm really worried, because I'm receiving my computer soon. It's all configured at the system's integrator. The final tweaks are being done.

• 6. Re: i970 vs i7-2600k [overclocked ] for video editing
                  RjL190365 Level 4

Nope. The older LGA 1366 (Nehalem) platform has 36 PCI-e 2.0 lanes from the X58 IOH (four of which are used for the connection between the X58 IOH and the ICH10R). The current Sandy Bridge platform has only 20 total PCI-e lanes on the CPU (of which four are used for the DMI 2.0 connection to the P67 or Z68 PCH, leaving only 16 PCI-e lanes available from the CPU for expansion slots). This is why the main PCI-e x16 slot on lost boards will drop to x8 when a PCI-e x8 RAID card is added. However, even a GeForce GTX 580 can barely take full advantage of even PCI-e 2.0 x8, let alone x16, bandwidth. That may change with the forthcoming GeForce GTX 600 series: It is very possible that the x8 bandwidth could bottleneck the performance of what would be called the GeForce GTX 680.

• 7. Re: i970 vs i7-2600k [overclocked ] for video editing
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The Sandy Bridge chipset has only 20 PCIe lanes, even when a NF200 chip has been added. If you have a PCIe-8x raid controller, the video card drops down from 16x to 8x. The X58 chipset does have 36 PCIe lanes.

• 8. Re: i970 vs i7-2600k [overclocked ] for video editing
                      Scott Chichelli Level 3

no worries Fred,

we have already proven that adding a raid card and a capture card on P67 do not dimmish the benchmarks even with the video card going to 8x.

add to that most do NOT NEED a dedicated raid card unless they want parity raid.

Scott

ADK

• 9. Re: i970 vs i7-2600k [overclocked ] for video editing
                        Frédéric Segard Level 2

Scott, I'm still very concerned, because I have 4 cards in the system: a GTX580 (16x), an Areca 1880ix-16 (8x), a BMD decklink Extreme (4x), and a FireWire card (1x) because there was no FireWire onboard.

If the GPU goes to 8x, then will the Areca go to 4x to accommodate the BDM and/or the FireWire card? The problem is, I edit uncompressed often, and I fear that I'll have bandwidth problems between the RAID card and the BDM card... not to mention the GPU going down at 8x (I'd be surprised that MPE is not affected by this).

Like I said... I'm still worried! I was supposed to pick up the system this week.... now, I'm stressing... a lot of money is going into this turnkey package.  Had I know there was a PCI lane limitation on Sandy Bridge, I would have stuck with a x58 without hesitation, even if it's more expensive. I wanted optimal, unconstrained performance. I'm really hitting (figuratively speaking) my head on the wall for not knowing this sooner!