3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 6:39 AM by Jim_Lester

What information is sent when activating Digital Editions

Ergo_Sum

Can anyone provide information or provide links to relevant documentation to confirm what information is sent when activating an installation of digital editions. Note: this is for selection not to authorize with an Adobe ID on first use but just selecting activate this computer.

Any info would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: What information is sent when activating Digital Editions
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I'm having trouble understanding what it is that you want, because - at

least to me - the sentences are not complete.

"...what information is sent to when activating..." - to where?

"Note: this is for selection not to authorise with an Adobe ID on first use

but just selecting activate this computer."  ???

If I start at the beginning of the process, maybe it will help.  You have a

choice whether to download and install Digital Editions with or without

registering with Adobe and obtaining an Adobe ID.  In either case, Adobe

will write a 'tag' file (my term) with information about when you downloaded

the program and what computer it's being downloaded on.  If you download and

install without registering, an Adobe ID will not be included in that file,

but Adobe will indicate that the download was 'anonymous' (my term again).

If you choose to register with Adobe, and then download Digital Editions,

Adobe will put your Adobe ID into that file, along with your Adobe password.

Hope this helps!

=========================

• 2. Re: What information is sent when activating Digital Editions
            Ergo_Sum Level 1

Hi

Thanks very much for your response.

I think you have confirmed the info I need but just to clarify my original question, I am interested in the stage after installation of Digital Editions (offline installer) as follows.

1) Launch Digital Editions for first use and it goes to setup assistant.

2) The next screen gives you the option to authorise computer with adobe ID or don't authorise computer. an Activate button that is used for either option is at the bottom of the form.

I am interested in confirming what information is sent to Adobe when selecting do not authorise this computer and then selecting activate.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: What information is sent when activating Digital Editions
              Jim_Lester Level 4

Adobe hasn't publicly documented this information.