3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2011 6:18 AM by Rick Gerard

WHY are my proxies bigger than source footage?

WhiteRau Level 1

hey all.

i've been doing a bunch of high-turnover web video and thought i'd try using proxied to speed up the flow. what i want to know is why the proxy for my 176MB video file is 1.5GB!?  that's over 800% larger!  yeah.   EIGHT HUNDRED PERCENT.

this seems to ridiculously wrong.  needless to say, not speeding up workflow...

anyone know if i've done something wrong or what the hell is going on?

running AE CS5.5 on Windows 7.

thanks in advance, you bunch of bandits! 

WR!

• 1. Re: WHY are my proxies bigger than source footage?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What compression are you using for the proxy? What are your settings for the proxy?

If you're destination is the web then your workflow is all wrong. You should be useing the Adobe Media Encoder to render. Please read the section on output and rendering in the help files.

• 2. Re: WHY are my proxies bigger than source footage?
            WhiteRau Level 1

i'm using the DV compressor, but i'll try some of the others.  i'm partial to Sorenson Squeeze for final ouput, but i'll give the Media Encoder a shot.

thanks.  i've never had to use proxies before!  seems i'm basically cranking out a version of the footage and just linking it.  in which case, i'll use SS and just link it in.  or Media Encoder.

WR!

• 3. Re: WHY are my proxies bigger than source footage?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are your comp settings? Proxies are not intended to render final output.

The idea of a proxy is to replace high resolution footage with a smaller frame size copy of the footage so that working in the AE comp is faster. When using a proxy the proxy footage is scaled internally to fill the larger frame so your work goes a little faster. Once you complete the animation, the original footage is replaced with the proxy for rendering. Proxy's are really only useful when you're using very high rez footage as background footage. They are useless for things like compositing, keying, stabilizing, and other operations that require the careful examination of every pixel.