5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2011 10:29 AM by Sokonomi

Warp Stabilization crops to letterbox?

Sokonomi

I cant quite put my finger on just what is going on here,

but I think Warp Stabilisation is pulling a bit of a weird crop job on my footage.

The letterboxing effect seems to increase as I decrease the maximum scale slider.

What im doing is replacing a clip with an after effects composition in premiere pro,

and then simply dragging the warp stabilizer ontop of the footage to let it do its thing.

Any advice or ideas on whats going on?

Running windows 7 64bit, AE version 10.5.0.253, PP version 5.5.0.233

• 1. Re: Warp Stabilization crops to letterbox?
          Sokonomi Level 1

A quick picture to show what its doing:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9131/cropderp.jpg

On the left is the origional footage, on the right is what AE warp stabilization makes of it with max scale at 110%.

Note that framing is set to stabilize, crop and autoscale.

• 2. Re: Warp Stabilization crops to letterbox?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your value for maximum scale is too small. You've locked the maximum scaling so tight that AE needs to synthesize edges to fill the holes. Judging by the amount of cropping there's quite a bit of movement in your shot.

Increase the max scale value or try a different method of smoothness or a different stabilization amount. You could also try synthesize edges.

• 3. Re: Warp Stabilization crops to letterbox?
              Sokonomi Level 1

Youre indeed right about there being lots of movement, this is the start of a video with a small airplane darting off.

Your arguement that maximum scaling is too small doesnt seem to hold up to my problem though.

If I increase the maximum, the letterboxing gets even worse.

My goal is to get a steady shot of an aircraft in the air.

Tracking points dont seem to take hold of them, and warp stabilize also seems to get confused.

The only program that can do it flawlessly is deshaker in virtualdub.

How I wish I had that plugin for Premiere Pro.

• 4. Re: Warp Stabilization crops to letterbox?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try something like this:

Screen Shot 2011-10-17 at 7.59.14 AM.png

Warp Stabilizer won't work miracles. It will substantially improve some shots. I have my doubts about how well it will work when the subject is a small airplane against a blue sky. There's just not much detail to track.

• 5. Re: Warp Stabilization crops to letterbox?
                  Sokonomi Level 1

Alas, still getting black barred and stabilization is atrociously bad.

I achieve the best results by pumping ungodly huge lossless avi files out of premiere,

then letting virtualdub do its thing for a day, then importing it back to premiere pro.

But its painstakingly slow and cumbersome and takes several terabytes.

Still, Its a bit unsettling that a free bit of software is making an expensive professional one look stupid.