2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2011 10:09 AM by joe bloe premiere

how to replace .mov files with .tga image sequences.

ilithian

Hi everyone,

I work at a small 3D production house and we need help to iron out some problems with our pipeline. Currently we're exporting .tga image sequences from our compositing software, and then for speed reasons -  converting them to lower res quicktime files and using those to edit in Premiere Pro. But for the final export we then want to swap back to the uncompressed .tga image sequences. However 'replace footage..' will just choose a single tga image rather than a sequence, and we can't work out how to get around this. Surely there is a way around this..

Thanks,

Tom

• 1. Re: how to replace .mov files with .tga image sequences.
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't think you can replace a clip with an image sequence.  Best to get sufficient hardware and work with the original for editing.  Or export out something other than an image sequence, an Uncompressed AVI for example.  Then you can replace the low res "clip" with a high res "clip".

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how to replace .mov files with .tga image sequences.
            joe bloe premiere Level 5

Jim is right. You can't replace a clip with an image sequence.

If you are rendering your comps from one system, follow Jim's sage advice.

But, in the cases when I do a multi-system network 3d render, there is

no way for all systems to write to the same Uncompressed AVI file...

so rendering to an image sequence is the only option.

You say:

...for speed reasons -  converting them to lower res quicktime files
            and using those to edit in Premiere Pro.

You might consider converting your sequences to both a low-res proxy for editing,

and also convert to full-res lossless codec AVI files at the same time for swapping out later.

1 person found this helpful