17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2011 9:55 AM by geordie graham

Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac

gretailia Level 1

What is wrong with Adobe and Matrox? Can't they get it together! Ever since switching from Final Cut Pro 7 to Premier Pro 5 and then 5.5 I have been having problems playing back footage from Premier through the Matrox Mini X02 box and then HDMI into a Sony HD monitor. No matter what I do with installs and re installs, the problem persists. The problem is that the Matrox software/hardware seems incapable of providing one simple little thing...playing back my Premier CS 5.5  1920 timeline into my Sony TV. The sound stutters and stops, the playback freezes and Premier won't start again until I reboot my Mac. Sometimes I have to repair disk permissions to get Premier to work again.  My hardware should be adequate. I have a MacPro 3.1 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon running in 64 bit mode under OS X 10.6.8, with 20 GB of RAM and a NVidia Quadpro FX4800 video card. I am running a Raid drive for the video.

Now I know that Adobe is trying to get as many FCP users as it can so I am wondering if there are other Mac users on this forum who have swtiched and who are having the same problems? I have read the reports on the Matrox forum and there seems to be a real saga over the Mini Max 02 and its software. There have been countless software revisions!

Should I abandon Matrox and go for a Black Magic card. I understand the Black Magic Pro card only does 1920 interlaced. I want a card that will be able to transfer anything Premier can display on its timeline and put it on my Sony Bravada. So that means progressive as sell as interlaced.

• 1. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
          Jim_Simon Level 9

What is wrong with Adobe and Matrox? Can't they get it together!

In my experience, no.  Ever since Premiere went Pro, the two have just never played perfectly nice together, or at least not as nice as they played when Premiere was still 6.5.

My advice would be to drop the Matrox, finish the switch you started by dropping FCP and come all the way back to the light of Windows, and then join the fray...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/900221?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
            jojejo Level 2

Yes, you are right!

I need over one year to get my matrox mxo2 le work  properly with PPro and a HDCam deck. I had direct contact to matrox via Ricardo Marques (ricardo.marques-at-matrox.com). He really tries to help me with my problems. Contact him and maybe you have luck and it won't last one year to get a solution!

• 3. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
              gretailia Level 1

Hi:

Please can you describe your system and what you did. Does it work properly now? I am mostly interested in good playback performance as I rely on the monitor for color correction

• 4. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
                jojejo Level 2

Hi,

actually I can't say that my system work properly now. But I don't know if that is still a Matrox or one of the plenty Adobe bugs! My biggest problems with Matrox and our HDCam deck was to get a frame accurate ingest and also a frame accurate output to tape, in assemble mode as well as in insert mode. After a some matrox driver update the update to CS5.5 solved this problem.

Actual I have problems with the GPU acceleration (there are so many bugs that I work in software only mode since months), a crazy variation of the "blue alpha" problem at QT export, and if I hit play, most of the time the playback stopps after one second... All in all it is not so much fun to work with Premiere as they always tell in their commercials!

My system: 6core@3.33GHz, 24GB Ram, SSD for OS and CS5.5, Raid0 for video files, Nvidia GTX285

And attention: matrox clips the levels below 16 and above 235, so there is no possibility for super black / white...

Greatings

Johannes

• 5. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
                  gretailia Level 1

Hi:

I rather think you are pushing the envelope with what you are trying to do. Maybe you should try Avid. As far as I can tell, Premier is pretty solid on a Mac with the new update, provided you don't give it too much to handle. It is very poor in handling dropped frames when used with the Matrox Mini box like we have. You get a couple of warnings about dropped frames, then playback freezes up and you can't do anything unless you reboot your machine. FCP 7;02 handles Matrox misbehaviour with more forgiveness. It doesn't freeze up, but it has other problems like distorted audio. I have had my Matrox for more than two years and in that time it has not work properly with three different machines and numerous installations! I never had trouble like that with my Black Magic Pro card which I originally got for monitoring video, but I had to drop the Black Magic because it wouldn't do progressive.

Most of the people on this forum seem to be Windows users and I get periodic cracks about being a Mac user. I am surprised that Adobe doesn;t do something about this, like creating a forum for Premier Pro Mac users. So posting here about difficulties doesn't help too much.

I just installed AJA and found that my Lacie 2TB external hard drive in raid 0 and connected by firewire 800 is only giving about 60 MBytes/sec transfers read and write. Do you know what your speed is?  I am going to try an ATA card and connect the drive that way. A Lacie tech told me that I could expect 100 MBytes/sec.  I wonder if this is fast enough for simple playback through Matrox!!

• 6. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
                    jojejo Level 2

Oh I'm not pushing the envelope, I'm just trying what Matrox and Adobe are promising.

BTW, im also working with Avid on a other machine with the Matrox Mini for preview - without problems.  And I forgot to say that I'm using PCs.

With dropped frames I have no problems, neither in premiere nor in Avid.

The reading speed of the Raid0 diversify between 220-320MB/s. I think with a modern SATA or Thunderbold drive you should get way more than 60MB/s. And avoid firewire. When I'm right Firewire800 has a speed of 800Mbit/s, so you are limited to max. 100MB/s.

• 7. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
                      Jon Chappell Level 3

gretailia wrote:

I am surprised that Adobe doesn;t do something about this, like creating a forum for Premier Pro Mac users.

Seconded!

• 8. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
                        geordie graham

I couldn't agree more. I simply cannot get my mx02 and brand new pp to talk to each other. I was seduced by the smooth sales talk from adobe at this years IBC in Amsterdam and foolishly bought it to replace FCP.

I'm pinning my hopes on avid 6 now as it does apparently work. There's not much sexy about avid but it's a rock solid system I use every day.

Does someone from adobe or matrox monitor these sites I wonder...their ears must be burning..

Regards to all

• 9. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
                          jojejo Level 2

lol

after the latest update to PP 5.5.2 and the appropriate Matrox driver I get the old problems again: Insert to tape is not running any more! Thanks Adobe and Matrox! Life would be so boring without all your bugs.

• 10. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
                            gretailia Level 1

The PP 5.5.2 update did help me. Matrox works for a little while now, before it chokes up and I have to restart PP. I think Matrox has a memory leak!  I see the choking happening and NO disc activity.

• 11. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
                              lasvideo Level 4

Why dont you just replace your defective Matrox with something that works? Like an AJA Kona?

• 12. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
                                geordie graham Level 1

What wonderfull insight and how helpful...

• 13. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
                                  lasvideo Level 4

Well if beating your head against the wall for years doesnt fix your problem and you need to make a living off this equipment...doesnt it stand to reason to get something that DOES work? If you exhasted every option, then its time to try something else.

• 14. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
                                    gretailia Level 1

No it doesn't.  These two companies should put their actions where their mouths are. I have spent my money based on their syrupy marketing blasts from people that never really touched the equipment and live in a world of make believe.  I am not prepared to spend another couple of thousand changing over to something else that may or may not work either!

• 15. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
                                      lasvideo Level 4

If your prefer ranting to solving your problem that is your choice.

• 17. Re: Continuing problems with Matrox and Premier Pro CS5.5 Mac
                                        geordie graham Level 1

Hi all, matrox came good with a monitoring solution for premiere pro which now works perfectly. Not tried it with a deck connected but at least I can see what I am doing...

Here it is:

Please check the following procedure. You can just do steps 5 to 13 at first. If it does not work then redo all steps. Let me know if it helps.

1.    Uninstall the Matrox driver using the Matrox Uninstaller. The system will restart.

2.    After the MAC has restarted, go to yourusername->library->application support->adobe->Premiere Pro->5.5 and delete the 'Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs' file  or use the ‘Preference Manager’ application: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

3.    Restart MAC

4.    Re-download and re-install the Matrox driver software

5.    Go to System Preferences -> Sound -> Output

6.    Change the default device to anything other than Matrox

7.    Open a new project and select a Matrox sequence preset.

8.    Open the Premiere Preferences menu.

9.    Click on ‘Audio Hardware’ and set the default device to anything other than Matrox

10.   Click on ‘Audio Output Mapping’ and set the ‘Map Output’ to anything other than Matrox

11.   Close Premiere and re-open (only if you made any changes)

12.   Open a new project and select a Matrox sequence preset.

13.   Select a Matrox sequence, load a video clip, test playback.

Note: In Premiere, if you are working in a Matrox sequence and want to also output the Source window content through the MXO2, then you can do so by opening Premiere Preferences -> Player Settings -> and setting the value to 'Matrox Player'. Your source window video and audio will now be output through the MXO2.

Note: Audio output through the system sound card is not supported when working in a Matrox sequence.