2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2011 12:21 AM by Peter Grainge

    Generated html does not open in firefox/safari when embed in an iframe

    asti_user

      Hello,

       

         I have been meddling with robohelp for a few weeks now. I can generate a html site from a Framemaker book fine. This is embed in an <iframe> to integrate it into our website. It works correctly on chrome. However on firefox/safari all I get is '  '. On viewing the source, it becomes apparent that this wierd bunch of characters appears before the <html>. I looked into the actual html generated and I see this tag <feff> prefixed before <html> in every file. Naturally, I went ahead and removed it and the page now loads correctly on firefox/safari. However, the bullets are all messed up. I read a post somewhere which said <feff> contains some information about css classes.

       

      I use Technical Comm Suite-3.5(full version). The webhelp html is generated using the publish functionality from framemaker using a saved *.isf settings file.

      So how do I fix this? Any suggestions are welcome.

       

      Thanks

        • 1. Re: Generated html does not open in firefox/safari when embed in an iframe
          asti_user Level 1

          excerpt from frame source

           

          "

          <html>

          <head>

          <title>test</title>

          "

          • 2. Re: Generated html does not open in firefox/safari when embed in an iframe
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

            The "weird bunch of characters" is known as the BOM (Byte Order Mark). The problem is on the server.

             

            I saw the same thing when first using RoboHelp 8 and this is what I was advised by the company hosting my site.

             

            "I would therefore conclude that the solution to this problem (on Linux systems running Apache) is to add the AddDefaultCharset utf-8 directive to either the Apache config or the site .htaccess file. The advantage of the latter is that it only affects individual sites. The default Apache character set is taken from the locale file on Linux and defaults to iso-8859-1. It is the conflict between the Apache header with iso-8859-1 and the page character set of utf-8 that obviously causes Firefox a problem."

             

            In a forum post Chrissy_Tissy added

            My machine is Windows, but this fix still worked  - some notes about making the fix visible:

            1. Do the fix itself (httpd.conf: AddDefaultCharset utf-8).

            2. Restart the box to apply the fix.

            3. Once the box is restarted, clear your cache in FireFox to make sure you don't continue to see the cached file.

             

            Once all this is done you will see the output content as expected.

             


            See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

             

            @petergrainge