11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2011 6:59 AM by mws_19841 RSS

Adobe Reader X update will not install

mws_19841

I got Adobe Reader X by downloading it online from this site I believe. I have no discs or anything. But several times it has wanted to install an update. And when it does I'll get Error 1311 Source File Not found data1.cab

So why is this happening? Is it because I used a free download off the site and don't have the program on actual disc? There is troubleshooting tips that say uninstall it and all but is this worth doing. I don't want to get rid of it then have to buy it or something. But I am certain I got it off this site so not sure why it won't let me update?

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install
          DiederikvdS

In my case Reader X does not want to download. Although I chose it, it pops up with a download proposal for 9.4..... Intel Core 2 Duo Mac 10.5.8 here. Maybe the same answer will cater for us both?

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install
            Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

It looks like you have cleared the cached installer files from your system, causing this issue.

Please try downloading Reader 10.1.1 from: http://get.adobe.com/reader and install the same.

That should solve the issue.

Ankit

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install

Please let me know from which link are you trying to download Reader 10.1.1.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install
                nathansmith

How does one delete the installer cache files? I couldn't find them in 10.7.2 I IDID find Cache files in the Library, and deleted them all. Still broken.

My 10.1.1 installer from Adobe runs and immediatly stops about 40% of the way through, and then sits there. The last time I started the install before lunch, and after lunch the installer was in the exact same spot, but said it would take an hour and 45 min to install! I'm running OS 10.7.2 on a 2009 MBP.

Update:

OK, I put Adobe Reader 9.4.6 back in my Applications folder. I open it up, and do "check for updates". It says I am up to date, and that there are no new updates.

The 10.1.1 installer I downloaded DIRECTLY by going to Adobe.com and following the links for my Mac. I even deleted the installer once and then redownloaded it just to make sure I had a good copy. This is the screen I get when I run the installer. It gets to this point in about 30 seconds, always between the "r"and "i" in scripts, and the time remaining just keeps going up. HELP!Screen Shot 2011-10-18 at 4.41.58 PM.png

Message was edited by: nathansmith

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install
                  DiederikvdS Community Member

Apparently something changed or it has to do with the fact I upgraded to MacOS 10.6 but I can't reproduce the location from where I tried earlier. I found a location eventually and it worked. Can't remember exactly which route I followed. When I go to downloads directly now (running MacOS10.6) it directs me to Adobe Reader 10.1 allright.

Op 18 okt 2011, om 11:52 heeft Ankit_Jain het volgende geschreven:

Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install

created by Ankit_Jain in Adobe Reader - View the full discussion

Please let me know from which link are you trying to download Reader 10.1.1.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3976999#3976999

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/3976999#3976999. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Adobe Reader by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install
                    mws_19841 Community Member

Not sure if this was to my problem getting the Error 1311 Source File Code Not Found or to the other poster after.

I tried the link you posted to download the program and it said I already have it. The update icon still comes up on my desktop. So I tried it again and still am getting the error.

So not really sure where to go from here? I also went to the Adobe Reader X program, opened it and went to the Help tab. Clicked check for updates and it said there was none. So why am I getting the icon on my computers taskbar that there is an update?

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install

Hi,

There seem to be two issues on your system:

1. Regarding the Error 1311: Looks like your installer cache has been cleared somehow. I am not sure as to what might have caused this. But you can try and uninstall the existing installation and get the free Reader from the site I had mentioned above.

2. Regarding the regular notifications: Do you have Adobe Acrobat installed on your system as well? The notification in your taskbar might be related to the same.

Would it be possible for you to paste the contents of the AdobeARM.log file present in User Temp directory (%temp%), so that I can have a look at the same.

Thanks

Ankit

• 8. Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install

On my system I have Adobe Reader X and also Adobe Acrobat X Pro(this I just had the free trial to make PDF documents. Not sure if I can even still use it as the trial ran out a long while ago. It asks for a code now I presume off the box of an actual program.

I will be trying to uninstall Reader and then download it again and see what happens. Wonder if I can flat out uninstall Acrobat if I don't have the full version and the trial is up?

• 9. Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install

You can uninstall both the programs if need be (even if Acrobat has run out of its trial validity) and then re install Adobe Reader.

• 10. Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install
                            HCS Desgins

I logged on my computer yesterday and adobe 9 would no longer work. So today I went to the adobe website: http://get.adobe.com/reader/ and did the "run" download as insturcted on their site. The download/install started just fine but the intalling bar stops at 96%.

Any info on this would be helpful... Mary

• 11. Re: Adobe Reader X update will not install

I think I've discovered the issue is the Acrobat Pro. I looked into it further and it appears that update is for the Acrobat. Must be why it won't install as I don't have the full version. Going to uninstall it and see if I get it anymore. I'm currently working on uninstalling Reader and getting it again.