10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 3:18 AM by Reid_Stewart

Transparency Affecting Masters

Reid_Stewart

Hello InDesigners,

I have an InDesign file that I wish to be viewed as both a digital PDF and a printed PDF.

Each page uses a Master, and the Masters have a black line that runs down the center.

On pages that contain a transparent image, the line looks bold. This problem only occurs when viewing the PDF file - once the PDF is in print, the line returns to its regular size. Below is an image to demonstrate my problem:

Bold_Master_Line.jpg

Are there any ways for me to make the black line appear as norrmal on a page with transparencies?

I do not want to:

A. Remove my transparencies

or

B. Add a transparent image to every page so that all of the lines become "bold"

Thanks in advance,

Reid

• 1. Re: Transparency Affecting Masters
          Michael Gianino Level 4

Reid_Stewart wrote:

This problem only occurs when viewing the PDF file - once the PDF is in print, the line returns to its regular size.

What happens when you change the zoom? Some things look OK at 300% that might not look good at 100%. If that's the case, it may just be a PDF viewing issue, and I'm not sure there is much you can do in InDesign to change that. If, on the other hand, it looks problematic at all viewing percentages, that's a different issue. Which is it for you?

• 2. Re: Transparency Affecting Masters
            Reid_Stewart Level 1

The problem persists through all viewing percantages (or at least a dozen of them).

However, it is worse (boldest) at 33.3% and better (least bold) at 50%.

Bold_Master_Line_Zooms.jpg

• 3. Re: Transparency Affecting Masters
              Michael Gianino Level 4

I tried to replicate your problem, but the line looked the same on all pages. In your first post, you mentioned "transparency" which lead me to think you were using a transparency effect native to InDesign. Seeing your reply, I think you meant that the background of a placed image was transparent. Is that what you meant? If so, is that a Photoshop file, and if so, what is the file type (PSD, Tiff, JPEG, PDF, etc.), Mode (Bitmap, Grayscale, RGB, CMYK, etc.) and do you have a clipping path?

Also, have you tried placing the master-page items on their own layer, and having another layer for your page-based items? I don't know if that would do any good, but it may be worth a try.

• 4. Re: Transparency Affecting Masters
                Reid_Stewart Level 1

You infer correctly - the file contains images with transparent backgrounds. I am using placed .AI .PSD and .PNG images. The mode is CMYK. They do have clipping paths.

The masters have their own layer on pages that contain images, and share a layer with text on text-only pages.

• 5. Re: Transparency Affecting Masters
                  Michael Gianino Level 4

Do you get the same bolding effect with AI, PSD and PNG, and if so, are there any pages with images that don't look bold?

• 6. Re: Transparency Affecting Masters
                    Reid_Stewart Level 1

The effect occurs with all 3 image types (.AI .PNG and .PSD).

The effect occurs on images with and without clipping paths.

The effect occurs at only one zoom when the image is .AI and the transparency is set to Darken. That is the closest thing to the effect not occuring that I have seen : (

• 7. Re: Transparency Affecting Masters
                      mckayk_777 Level 2

Have you tried placing the line on a layer above the transperancies

• 8. Re: Transparency Affecting Masters
                        Reid_Stewart Level 1

Placing the line above the transparencies makes the line appear at its normal size. Progress!

However, if I do this, the line will go through the illustrations (instead of behind them). So it doesn't seem like a solution.

• 9. Re: Transparency Affecting Masters
                          Michael Gianino Level 4

If the line looks differently on pages that have an image, you could try placing an image on the master page so that it displays on every document page. Try making a one-pixel image in Photoshop and placing it on the master page behind your border or somewhere it won't be seen and see if that makes the lines the same on all of the pages. That shouldn't add much to your file size.

• 10. Re: Transparency Affecting Masters
                            Reid_Stewart Level 1

Eureka! I have found a workaround. For all of those interested:

Exporting my .indd file to .PDF, then saving the exported .PDF as a reduced size .PDF, has eliminated the quirks inherent in printing from InDesign. I no longer have bold lines or crooked images on pages with images featuring transparency. The file is larger than a direct print, but not unbearably so (3.05 mb vs. 2.40 mb).

Now my question for everyone savvy with Adobe technology is:

Is this process likely to cause any unwanted consequences for the file's viewers / printers?