2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 3:48 PM by Bob Dix Photographer

Output quality for .m2t comapred to Bluray

Mr Nielsen

Hi

I'm using PrEl 9 with the below details for source / project preset

Source Media : Canon HF10 (FXP recording mode)

Video Compression: AVCHD (MPEG2 AVI/H.264)

Audio: Dolby Digital Stereo

Full HD 1920 x 1080i25

Based in Europe = PAL

I export my finalized project to MPEG2 1920 x 1080i30.

I then ( by recommendation) used Share/Computer/MPEG as MPEG2 1920 x 1080i25. This gave me the final output file as .m2t

I intend to playback this file from a media player to my TV set (LED Samsung 46") and my question is around the final quality of my edited movie. Will the quality be as good as if I had used a BluRay burner and used that directly from PrEl 9 ? I'm hoping my approach with exporting to this .m2t and playback this will give the same/almost the same quality.

Need to find the best way forward for all my projects , hopefully without buying a BluRay burner and a BluRay player

Appreciated help

//Helmut

• 1. Re: Output quality for .m2t comapred to Bluray
          VDOSurfer Level 3

You should get the same quality. Blu Ray standards allow for very high bit rates. So if the file you exported has a high bit rate, the quality will be the same as the Blu Ray burn output. You can also burn to H264 (Full HD PAL) since that is also allowed in Blu Ray. A High bitrate should give you the same quality. I am not sure about the bit rate that PrE uses for burn, but anything over 20Mbps, and you should not see any difference.

• 2. Re: Output quality for .m2t comapred to Bluray
            Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

I cannot see any difference between H.264mov 1920 x 1080p which is highly compressed or( 1440 x 1080 m2t from anamorphic pro tape ) and (HDV/mpeg-2 avi ( are larger files but little compression) if using Microsoft avi/Uncompressed,  at 38mbps from a Canon 5D Mark II on a Sony 46'' from a Blue-Ray out of Premiere Elements ,Premiere Pro CS5.5.1 or Sony Vegas 11. I have even noticed commercial Blu-Ray discs at 8mbps do not look bad at all ? it may depend on the complexity of the content, but that was from a BBC Blue-Ray Disc

We are PAL in Australia , and the video is simply stunning.

That HF10 with FXP Full HD recording of 1920 x 1080  at17Mbps falls short of the Pro data rate of 25 Mbps > for the Canon HV20/30/40 Tape based & Canon's Pro models at $4,500 and $8500, but, the video is remarkably good.I have seen video from all models and depending on content , it is difficult to tell the difference ?