3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 1:17 PM by kvanderwende

Print dialog in Firefox causes Flash player to crash

kvanderwende

We have an application that allows viewing and printing reports.  It works fine in IE and Chrome.  In Firefox, when Print button is clicked and print dialog opens, if it is left for 30-45 seconds without user interaction Flash crashes.  The problem exists in FF4 and higher.  Does anyone know a workaround for this?

• 1. Re: Print dialog in Firefox causes Flash player to crash
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

What happens on IE and Chrome? Does the dialog just stay up?  I think there might be a timeout on how long Flash will wait for the PrintDialog.   Either way, it shouldn’t crash.  Make sure you are on the latest public release of the player and file a bug.

• 2. Re: Print dialog in Firefox causes Flash player to crash
            kvanderwende Level 1

IE and Chrome wait for the user to print or cancel.

I realized after I posted that it isn’t the version of Firefox that is the problem it is Firefox along with the latest Flash Player. This issue was first reported during testing in August.

• 3. Re: Print dialog in Firefox causes Flash player to crash
              kvanderwende Level 1

I found this in another thread:

This issue seems to be related to hang protection that was added to Firefox. To disable follow these steps:

1. In the Location bar, type about:config and press.
              2. The about:config page should appear. In the Filter box, type dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs
              3. Double click the setting and change the number to -1 to disable hang protection.

I set it to -1 and the problem went away.  This isn't really a valid solution because we have hundreds of thousands of users and we can't tell them how to configure their browsers.  I am waiting on someone internally to test with the regular Flash player.  I am using the debugger player.

Was able to test non-debug version.  Problem exists with either.