7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 11:32 AM by Little Toddler

Updating index from Word file in Book feature

Little Toddler

I prepared a book using the book feature. 15 chapter files making up the book. The client is going to supply the Index as a Word file with page numbers from his book's word file, which I was hoping to spill into a file in the book and Update the page numbers. I have done this when the book is all one file, but will it work in the book feature? Also, what if a thread is broken somewhere (there were lots of photographs and I think that may have happened a few times). Will that effect the indexes ability to update the page numbers (provided it even works in the Book feature)?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Updating index from Word file in Book feature
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Little Toddler wrote:

The client is going to supply the Index as a Word file with page numbers from his book's word file ...

That's No Good. The page numbers as they were in the original Word file are worthless.

.. which I was hoping to spill into a file in the book and Update the page numbers.

InDesign cannot update the page numbers in an index that was created with Word.

I have done this when the book is all one file, but will it work in the book feature?

Uh. Perhaps you did not (see above). Only if you made this index entirely in InDesign is when that's possible. (But yeah, "Include Book" is an option in the Generate Index dialog.)

Also, what if a thread is broken somewhere (there were lots of photographs and I think that may have happened a few times). Will that effect the indexes ability to update the page numbers (provided it even works in the Book feature)?

Proper or improper threading is not a problem.

The problem is you must distinguish between an index made in Word and one made in InDesign -- and I mean "made with", not just "typed in". If your writer supplies you an index made in Word, you can throw it out of the window. What good are his page numbers to you? You can only mimick his index (sort of) if your processed InDesign files still contain the original Index Markers that the author used in Word, and then you are using the same workflow, not "updating the author's index".

If there are no index markers in your InDesign files, that's where it stops for you. Perhaps you want to insert them, one by one, in their original location (using the supplied index as a guide) -- only then you can create an up-to-date index with InDesign and using your page numbers.

There is another option: if your author used Word's features to generate the index with, he could try the opposite. That is, you hand him a PDF of the latest version of your book, and he inserts page breaks and adjusts page numbering in his Word document to match yours, word by word. This can be done quite fast because all other formatting is not important -- it's the What's on this Page Number that counts. When done, the author can use Word again to re-generate the index, and hey! the page numbers will match the final version!

Of course this only works when the author actually used Word's native indexing facility -- if he typed in each entry and its associated page numbers, you got yourself quite a job trying to find what word went where in your version.

• 2. Re: Updating index from Word file in Book feature
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm a little surprised you didn't mention InexMatic. Would that not be a possiblle solution by rmoving the page numbers from the Word index, leaving only the word list?

• 3. Re: Updating index from Word file in Book feature

IndexMatic (sp.). Well, first of all I'm not really familiar with it and its siblings so I cannot vouch for its usefulness. But more importantly, this and related scripts all generate what's known as a concordance list -- a dumb list of what word occurs on what page. Any index worth its name will be better than this.

Take, for example, InDesign's Indexing features. You can click on the word "word" and add it as an index entry; but you can also add it as "word(s)" or even "phrase" -- the index marker provides just the position in the document. Second, you can add your entry as "word(s)" but have it sort as "word", so it will appear before "wordlist" and "wordy" and such.

Neither of these possibilities can be used by a script.

LittleToddler mentioned the author already has created the index, and one would need to inspect this and the original document to be able to give a quality rating of this index.

• 4. Re: Updating index from Word file in Book feature
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I once used IndexBrutal (the predecessor to IndexMatic) to do a late-stage index from a word list. I had to do some list weaking, but I was able to do pretty much all of the sorts of things you describe. I would say it was worth at least a look...

• 5. Re: Updating index from Word file in Book feature
                  Little Toddler Level 1

Jongware, What I meant was this: The Word file has index markers in it and an index was generated in Word from those Word file markers. I spilled those Word files into my InDesign files. In the past, I am fairly certain that I have,  in a book that is a single Indesign file made from a Word file that had markers in it and an Index just updated the numbers. Maybe I am delusional, but I could swear I've done that.

So what I was asking was if the files were all separate Word files spilled into separate InDesign files but pulled together in the Book function, would it still work.

If the answer is no, then the client will just have to match his index up to my pages and give me a new index.

I'm sorry if I was unclear.

• 6. Re: Updating index from Word file in Book feature

Toddler, if you are correct then you should not have any problems generating your index. The index markers in Word get imported into InDesign, and all you have to do is remember to check the box "Include Book Documents" when generating yours.

It may seem your index entries are "updated with new page numbers" but in reality InDesign throws away the entire existing index and generates a whole new one. You can see that for yourself if you edited something in the index (a small spelling error or something like that) and re-generate -- the error will return.