6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 9:35 AM by maricou@hotmail.com

Error getting license Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO

maricou@hotmail.com

This message has been coming up everytime I open up my Adobe digital editions. Whenever I try downloading a .acsm book, nothing happens. Epub books download fine. I've altered my firewall, as per adobe's instrutions & my Kaspersky anti-virus has also been altered as per Adobe's instructions. The time was not changed on my computer at all. Suddenly, I just can't download .acsm ebooks, from the 12th of October 2011, which I had no problem downloading before. The .acsm books already in my library can be read just fine. I've tried downloading .acsm books from various sites, also Adobe's, but NOTHING happens!!!!!!!!

What can I do? I had purchased books, which I cannot read now.

• 1. Re: Error getting license Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Let's clarify something:  .ascm is a small file that contains information

ADE or other elibrary management programs use to find and download an

epublication.  Those epublications could be in .epub, .htm or .pdf formats.

So, if you have .ascm files on your computer, you really have nothing that's

readable.  I'm going out on a limb and saying that, during the process when

you were attempting to download an ebook, you 'SAVE'd the .ascm file instead

of 'OPEN'ing it (which would have keyed ADE to open and process the file.

I'm not sure how you're "reading" '.ascm books'.

It's possible that there's a way to undo this melange of material and

recover your purchased ebooks.  However, the .ascm file contains a time

stamp that expires if you're purchasing an ebook.  If that's the case,

you'll have to go back to the bookseller and discuss your options with him

in order to get your ebooks.

Hope this helps!

==============

• 2. Re: Error getting license Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO
            maricou@hotmail.com Level 1

When I downloaded, I did not save these ebooks but tried to open them immediately. When they are downloaded, they have .ascm attached to the book title and I open them immediately but nothing happens. I tried purchasing another Adobe ebook from Diesel & from another site & again, they download as .ascm files but did not open up to Adobe Digital.

• 3. Re: Error getting license Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO
              Frustrated in AZ Level 4

If things are working right, you should never have an .ascm file on your

computer - just the ebook that it references.

The normal process is to find a site that has the ebook you want, make

arrangements to pay for it if necessary, and then click on their 'Download'

button.  What happens next should be that the site will proceed to

'activate' the ebook file (.ascm suffix), and launch it.  When it does this,

the launch will ask you if you want to OPEN or SAVE the ebook file (which

will be shown as an .ascm suffix).  If you click on SAVE, then Digital

Editions opens, and the ebook will appear in ADE's library.  If you click

OPEN, then Digital Editions opens, and the ebook will appear in ADE in

Reading mode.  I'm having trouble understanding how you managed to transfer

the .ascm file to your computer.  And I'm having trouble understanding how

you managed to 'read' the ebook that is on your computer using Digital

Editions.  Maybe it's me, but I've not seen this situation noted here in the

forum during the 8 months I've been here.

What site(s) have you downloaded from that put .ascm files being on your

computer?

======================

• 4. Re: Error getting license Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO

When I said that I can read other .ascm books already in my library, I meant books which had been downloaded .ascm are still accesible to me to read from my Adobe Digital Library. What concerns me is how can I get to read the books I have purchased from Diesel and Fictionwise. I do exactly as you stated above, all the steps and yet nothing happens.

• 5. Re: Error getting license Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO
                  Frustrated in AZ Level 4

OK.  The situation may be more clear now.

You might try to look at a couple of the other threads in the forum that are

like this one and see if they've resolved the situation.  My bet is that

there is some form of incompatibility between the sites you reference and

Digital Editions regarding the digital rights portion of the ebooks.  Also,

HERE<http://technology.myblogzone.info/2011/01/how-to-solve-the-error-getting-license-message-i n-adobe-digital-editions/>

is

a link to a discussion of what MAY be causing the problem.  I hope it helps!

====================

• 6. Re: Error getting license Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO

The site you sent to me actually referred to Adobe's error message concerning License already fulfilled by another user, not my problem, that .ascm files do not open on my DE. I've looked at the other threads concerning this .ascm issue but nothing helps. Also, I checked the threads about the server communication issue and have already done what they say. I tried downloading a secure adobe ebook yesterday, in order to try again, but .ascm extension came up & nothing appeared in my DE. Then, I requested a change of format and chose Secure adobe epub ebook. This too came with a .ascm extension & surprise, surprise nothing happened again. Then I requested another change of format, epub (non-DRM) and the file downloaded with a .epub extension & opened up in DE just fine. What is going on? By the way, the message I get appears both when I try to download a .ascm ebook & when I just open my DE, without even trying to download anything at that time.