5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 6:37 AM by Scott Chichelli

1st Time Builder

Garylee53

I have litterally been trying to post on this forum for 10 months.  "Start a new discussion" was never visible.  Even had Adobe tech support assisting.  Anyway, now that i can post,I don't have my info in front of me to ask my in-depth questions.

This will do for now.

Planning on building a system for editing and AE work using Window 7, 64 bit and CS 5.5.

Deciding on either an i7-970 or i7-980 CPU

Motherboard choices:

Asus P6T6 WS Revolution -  leaning in this direction because of the dual LAN (* Question)

Asus P6X58E Pro

Asus Rampage III Formula

* I only think I need the dual LAN to connect to my other PC (32 bit system) to access files easier. Am I right about that?

Will be using Areca 1880i with 8 drives in multiple raid configs. Will have more questions about that in another post (hopefully)

I am confused about backing up my drives.  I am leaning towards Raid 3, 5 or 6 but confused about backing up my OS drive.  Not sure how to set that up.  I read where you guys refer to backing up your systems but can't quite picture the set up.  Could you possibly provide some detailed examples?

Thank you for your time.

Will be posting later with my complete system specs asking for opinons/advice.

Gary

• 1. Re: 1st Time Builder
          JEShort01 Level 4

Gary,

Re 970 vs 980, there is really not much difference in cost or overclocking potential; so, get whatever you feel is the best "deal" when you are making your actual purchase.

Regarding the Asus P6T6 WS Revolution, I would not get that board without assurance that someone has it with an Areca 1880 board; that board uses a NF200 chip to gain more PCIe slots and I've heard reports of the Areca cards not performing well when a NF200 is present (or at least is a problem with some motherboards).

You do not need dual LAN.

For backing up your Boot OS/programs drive, get a "drive imaging" program (ShadowProtect, Ghost, etc.) to make a restorable image of your drive onto another drive in your PC, on your LAN, or connected with a USB/firewire/eSata external port. Very useful!

Finally, with a 8-drive Areca, why not just build one big array and put everything on it. It may not be the absolutely fastest option, but it sure is convenient, reliable, and pretty darn fast.

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: 1st Time Builder
            Scott Chichelli Level 3

why do you think you need such a big drive array?

is it for redundacy?

Scott

ADK

• 3. Re: 1st Time Builder
              Garylee53 Level 1

Thanks for the responses you guys. 

Putting the drives on one array doesn't cause any push/pull conflicts does it? (ie. scratch disks, data, rendered files)  I see where folks use four drives, 2 each in raid -0.  I like the idea of that speed but the lack of redundancy scares me.  Of course maybe there is a back up solution that I am just not clear on.

As far as the size of the array goes I guess it is merely a clear case of "raid envy".  I am still in the DV world but just trying to be prepared incase HD is in my future.  To your point though I guess I can always add drives at a later time.  Save money.  The wife will like that.

Gary

• 4. Re: 1st Time Builder
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>confused about backing up my OS drive.

Many programs work... the one I use runs off of a bootable CD (created by the program) so it runs completely outside your usual boot software

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

• 5. Re: 1st Time Builder
                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

Hi Gary,

a few comments.

1) rarely does it make financial sense to build out a system on the hope you may one day use all its potential. chances are by the time you get there its time for an upgrade anyway.

2) you can add a few drivers later for 2 sets raid 0 (more than good enough for most) and very affordable.

3) if and thats a big if you need a large raid array you can always add it later as well

4) just because you have a parity raid does not mean thats it, you still should back it up externally. all it takes is 2 drives to fail or hit by a power spike etc to take out your data.

i have an internal raid 6 (allows for 2 drives to fail) then its backed up to a NAS (network storage) which is raid 5. then when we remember its also backed up to a 2TB ext drive.

5) you can back up your data to an ext drive very easy

as far as your OS same thing there are numerous programs, we use Paragon, Acronis is another good one. both will allow you to do automated incremental back ups after you make your first image.

Scott

ADK