9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 7:42 AM by Sue.Anderson

Out of Memory Error when printing

Sue.Anderson

I'm stumped and need help.  I've been creating a "roster" of our employees in InDesign CS5.5.  I've got approximately 16 photos per page, and only have 2 pages in the document so far.  I have created an InDesign file that is kind of a photo frame image that has some gradients and drop shadows applied to it.  When I place this InDesign file on the master page 16 times so that it appears over each image, I am unable to print the files, as I get an "error due to an out of memory condition".  (I can print when the 16 instances of the photo frame image is taken out, and I can print when there is only one instance of the photo frame image in it).  I'm assuming it has something to do with InDesign having to apply/redraw the effects/gradients to each and every instance of the "photo frame image."  Is there something that I'm missing, like a way of placing multiple instances of a file so that it doesn't have to redraw each and every one?  The graphic frame image that I haven't isn't anything too complex by any means, and I don't see why InDesign shouldn't be able to handle this.

Any help is greatly appreciate!  Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Out of Memory Error when printing
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How much memory do you have? Is this frame an image that you've placed, or something you drew inside ID, or something you pasted, and from where?

• 2. Re: Out of Memory Error when printing
            Sue.Anderson Level 1

The specs on my computer are:  1.58 GHz and 2.99 GB of RAM.

the graphic frame image is placed from another InDesign file (it was created solely in InDesign and consisted of shapes with gradients and drop shadows).  I've also tried dragging the "frame" from the original InDesign file into Illustrator and creating a PDF of it, and then placing that PDF into my Roster inDesign file.  That didn't work either.

• 3. Re: Out of Memory Error when printing

That's not a lot of RAM, but I used to work with less all the time in Windows XP without hitting out of memory errors. How much empty drive space do you have?

Try exporting the file to PDF and print that.

• 4. Re: Out of Memory Error when printing
                Sue.Anderson Level 1

I have 41.4 GB of free disk space.

I am able to export to PDF, however I was planning on using "Print Booklet" so that I can print to 11 x 17 and make a saddle stitched document.

• 5. Re: Out of Memory Error when printing

What's the OS?

In Windows you can use Print Booklet to print to PDF (if you have Acrobat Pro) which might not work any better than printing to paper, and there are a number of imposition scripts you can run to make a booklet on either platform that allow you to then export the imposed spreads.

• 6. Re: Out of Memory Error when printing
                    Sue.Anderson Level 1

Windows XP Professional.

So, I guess the bigger picture question I have is, how do the companies that work on huge catalogs with many images, many graphics, etc. do this all the time?  I didn't think I'm trying to do anything terribly intensive.  Did I just design my document too intensively, am I making an error in the way I'm setting up my document, do I not have a powerful enough computer?  I know, there are a LOT of variables in answering this questions, but this is something I need to keep in mind when designing documents.  Any insight is appreciated.  Thanks!

• 7. Re: Out of Memory Error when printing

As I said, I worked for close to 5 years with an XP system with 2 gb RAM without isssue doing things as large as a 430-page book with hundreds of photos. I think maybe something else is going on.

Take a look at Remove minor corruption by exporting and see if it helps.

What else is maybe running in the background?

• 8. Re: Out of Memory Error when printing
                        Reid_Stewart

Hi Sue,

I had the same problem a few days ago. My problem was caused by a hoard of vector images on the same page (flattening that page drove my fairly optimized PC crazy).

I solved the issue by opening the vector file in Photoshop, duplicating the layer with the image I wanted into an 8.5 x 11 spread, merging all layers when I was finished, and saving that spread as a .PSD (with maximize compatibility checked). Then I placed the .PSD into InDesign. This isn't perfect, I know, but the images look almost the same at zooms of up to 150% and printing / exporting takes a fraction of the time, not to mention my printed .PDF is 3 mb smaller.

I guess what I'm saying is:

1. You could put all 16 frames from 1 page in 1 file
                        2. You could save that file as a .PSD to retain a nice size/quality ratio

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Reid

p.s. How many cores does your processor have? When I switch between my single core laptop, dual core PC and quad core PC, I notice a profound difference in Adobe product speeds.

• 9. Re: Out of Memory Error when printing
                          Sue.Anderson Level 1

Making a single PSD file from the vector frames seemed to do the trick!  Thanks so much!

I believe my laptop is just single core...  I'm hoping to upgrade to a new laptop shortly.

Thanks again, everyone, for all your help!