2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2011 7:41 AM by bon_t

How to capture clicking in empty area of advanceddatagrid

bon_t

Hello,

Let's say there are 10 physical rows displayed for the advanceddatagrid, but there is data only in 3 of those rows.

How do I capture the user clicking on the other 7 empty rows?

A colleague said that he recalled seeing a datagrid where you can click on an empty row to add a new row. I Googled this but it seems that you have to add a dummy row with something like "Click to add row" to do this. In essence, someone wrote:

"Usually when appending records to a datagrid you do it through the dataprovider, if you have an editable grid you would add a new blank record to the provider then go to that index location in the datagrid for editing."

I'm not trying to add a new row, but I just want to detect that the user has clicked in the empty area of the advanceddatagrid.

Thanks!

Bon :-D

• 1. Re: How to capture clicking in empty area of advanceddatagrid
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

There should be a mouseEventToItemRenderer method that will return null if the event.target is not an itemRenderer.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to capture clicking in empty area of advanceddatagrid
            bon_t Level 1

Hi again,

Someone provided me with this code and it works.  I just want to post it here to help others out.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<s:Application xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"

xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"

xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx"

width="356" height="276">

<fx:Script>

<![CDATA[

import mx.collections.ArrayList;

import mx.controls.Alert;

[Bindable]

private var stateArray:ArrayList = new ArrayList(

[{label:"AL", data:"Montgomery"},

{label:"AK", data:"Juneau"},

{label:"AR", data:"Little Rock"}]);

protected function adg1_clickHandler(event:MouseEvent):void
                                 {
                                      if(getQualifiedClassName(event.target) == 'mx.controls.listClasses::AdvancedListBaseContentHolder')
                                      {
                                           Alert.show('Click!');
                                      }
                                 }

]]>

</fx:Script>

<mx:AdvancedDataGrid id="adg1" x="10" y="10"

width="339" height="254"

dataProvider="{stateArray}"

click="adg1_clickHandler(event)">

<mx:columns>

<mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn dataField="label" headerText="ID"/>

<mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn dataField="data" headerText="Name"/>

</mx:columns>

</mx:AdvancedDataGrid>

</s:Application>