7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2011 12:49 AM by Harm Millaard

New build

mtnski Level 1

Hi

I am planning to build a PC to be used while developing my film making skills. It will not be used professionally although I want to build a robust, efficient system so that computer issues are one factor I do not need to worry about.

Editing will be in Premiere pro and After Effects. Usage will primarily be basic editing, color grading, etc. I am unlikely to venture into much animation, etc.

Content will mostly be AVCHD from a Canon 5DII and maybe an ADVHD camcorder in the future. Occasionally content from other file based formats will be used.

Output will be for web only although some will likely be relatively high profile.

Proposed system is:

Intel Core i7-2600K Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155

GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

1 x system

2 x preview cache (motherboard raid 0)

1 x media

1 x lightroom

backup via hot swap drive bay

GTX470 (which one?)

Antec  P183 V3 case

Antec CP-850 850 Watt CPX Power Supply Unit for Antec Twelve Hundred V3, P183-V3, P193-V3 and DF-85

LG Electronics 10X Blu-ray SATA Writer Drive with Software WH10LS30K - Bulk (Black)

I would be grateful to receive feedback/suggestions as to the system suitability.

Thanks, Owen

• 1. Re: New build
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Owen,

Looks good, however I would suggest a newer nVidia card like the 570. Brand does not really matter, it is about price/warranty. EVGA, PNY, Point of View, Zotac have good reputations.

• 2. Re: New build
            Jim_Simon Level 9

I agree with Harm.  Overall it's a nice system.  Should serve you well.

The one thing I'd change is the 1TB System drive.  You don't need something that big.  Spend less and get smaller.

• 3. Re: New build
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree with Jim on the smaller boot drive

I have a 320Gig boot drive, on which I have dual boot with WinXP and Win7 64bit Pro

WinXP partition has WinXP and Premiere 6 and Pinnacle Dv500 software

Win7 partition has Win7 and CS5 Master Collection and MS Office Pro and all my Office files plus a few other programs

In total, I only use about HALF of the 320Gig drive

My 3 hard drives are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 4. Re: New build
                mtnski Level 1

Thanks for the feedback. Reassuring to see that I'm on the right track.

Is there any advantage, aside the cost saving, of the smaller system drive? The equivalent 32Gig drive seems to be 10 Euro cheaper at best.

• 5. Re: New build
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

The price difference is so small that you may even get a better deal when buying all those 1 TB disks reducing the price difference even more. I would not worry about that € 10, but Jim is right that you will be hard pressed to use more than around 50- 60 GB on your boot disk.

• 6. Re: New build
                    mtnski Level 1

How about this GPU?

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX570 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-E 320MB 2xDVI-I HDMI aktiv

• 7. Re: New build
                      Harm Millaard Level 7