7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 11:33 PM by Alessio T.

Use a different alphabet for a bulleted list

Alessio T. Level 1

Hi!

I'm working on a bilingual user manual, Italian - Russian.

I need to use a different alphabet for the bullet list in every language.

By default indesing use the english alphabet "A B C D E F G H I J K.." and I need to change in "A B C D E F G H I L M N..."

Can anyone help me?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Use a different alphabet for a bulleted list
          Michael Gianino Level 4

You could do it by (for example) placing the cursor on the letter J, and instead of leaving the mode at Continue from Previous Number, you could set it to Start At, and set the number to 12. This will skip over J and K, but if you added a new item after letter I, it would continue and be listed as J, so I don't think this is the kind of solution you would be happy with. I'm not sure there is a way other than doing it manually. If you went with an English-language list, you could probably edit out the unwanted letters by converting the numbers (letters, in this case) to text, and copying them to a table or to Excel, where you could edit them by column and paste back into your text frame. That's just one possibility, but there are probably better options that someone will be along to tell you about.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Use a different alphabet for a bulleted list
            Alessio T. Level 1

Thank you for the quick answer!

This can temporarily fix the problem. I can also convert a bullet (a letter in this case) into text and edit manually. But this can be done for 2 or 3 letters, not for a 25 elements list...

I also tried using a character style in italian for the bullet list but this doesn't change a thing... use always the english alphabet!

• 3. Re: Use a different alphabet for a bulleted list
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is your copy of ID using Italian menus and such? The language localization might make a difference. If you are running a US English interface, see Change InDesign’s UI Language with Free App | InDesignSecrets

• 4. Re: Use a different alphabet for a bulleted list
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It occurs to me also that the langauge assigned to the text itself might make a difference to numbering as well as spelling and hyphenation, so you might want to check that, too.

• 5. Re: Use a different alphabet for a bulleted list
                  Alessio T. Level 1

I'm using CS5 Italian UI in Windows7 and I tryed setting different languages in the paragraph style but nothing change the letters list!

Quite strange that in a italian UI version the default alphabet is the english one anyway!

• 6. Re: Use a different alphabet for a bulleted list
                    Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use the World Tools plugin for InDesign from in-tools.com to change my "numbered" lettered lists in translation from Latin script to Arabic script, Korean numbering (either Chosung or Ganada, thanks Harbs I've used both! ),  even circle numbering. Many different kinds of numbering/lettering are available to World Tools users. However, World Tools for CS4 doesn't offer every alphabet or abjad or syallabary for lettered lists, only some complex-script ones. I dunno about World Tools for CS5, but I've found in-tools to be really responsive to feature requests.

That being said, it might make more sense to do this without automatic bulleting & numbering. I'd rather set up my own hanging indents and key in each Cyrillic letter myself - iff I knew that the number of entries in the list was not going to change.

• 7. Re: Use a different alphabet for a bulleted list
                      Alessio T. Level 1

Thank you Joel for your answer! I didn't know that tool!

The problem is that I need to manage different version of the same text as different user manual for every device. I already have so many autocad diagrams with italian alphabet...

I'm thinking to do the lists manually...