26 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2017 4:46 PM by mikel40968816

Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt

prdfy Level 1

Why is this prompt always coming up when I close a PDF document?

"Do you want to Save Changes to  X   Before closing?"

I am using the free Adobe Reader X 10.1.1.  I can't make any changes to the file since it's the free version, so why is it asking me to save changes?  Even if I just open the file and just close it right away without doing anything else the prompt comes up.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
          screenNameHere99 Level 1

I've the same problem on Reader X 10.1.2.

Every time I open a file just to look at the first page, when I close it it prompts "Do you want to save changes?".

Very, very annoying.  It really slows down working with PDF files to have answer that every time.

I'm going to look for another PDF reader that's less annoying.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
            screenNameHere99 Level 1

Update: The old 9.5.0 version of Reader doesn't have this problem. 

I uninstalled Reader X and installed 9.5.0; that fixed it.

Get the old version while you still have the chance:  http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

--Dave

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
              Nikhil.Gupta Adobe Employee

Hi,

This problem might be specific to particular PDF's due to some specific features that are enabled for Reader to make changes.

Will it be possible for you to share the PDF with which you are having this issues?

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                Nikhil.Gupta Adobe Employee

Hi,

This problem might be specific to particular PDF's due to some specific features that are enabled for Reader to make changes.

Will it be possible for you to share the PDF with which you are having this issues?

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                  screenNameHere99 Level 1

I think pretty much any PDF created by CutePDFWriter did that (as well as others not created that way, but CutePDF seemed to do it reliably).

To verify that I'd have to un-install 9.5.0 and re-install Reader X, which I'd rather not do (9.5.0 is better in other ways too - the integration with Chrome is nicer because the "print" and "save as" buttons always appear; they hardly ever appeared in Reader X when opening a PDF from Chrome).

You can get CutePDFWriter here: http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp

Let me know if you can't reproduce the problem (just post here) and I'll un-install/re-install, verify a file with the problem, and post it.

For now I'm very happy with Reader 9.5.0; it's perfect.

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                    maken21 Level 1

I have same problem with PDF documents generated by my scrit. This pdf document is correctly opened and displayed and closed in all pdf readers but only in adobe acrobat it prompts to save documnet before closing.

Can you review my document? It is attached here for checking: http://qutest.a78.org/testpdf_hello.pdf

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                      Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

The problem with the PDF is that it is faulty: it does not follow the rules of PDF. (I could detail how, but that probably isn't interesting). It was either made faulty or damaged after creation.

Now, what happens is this: software which tries to open PDFs recognises the fault, and rebuilds the file. This can be very slow on a big file, but on a tiny file, you may not notice. Not all software will repair the file, so it is important not to distribute such files; you can think of Adobe Reader's message as a useful early warning.

All versions of Acrobat complain of the file, but older versions of Reader can't save edits so the issue does not arise. Current versions of Reader can save edits, so they do give the message even if it wasn't you that changed the file, but the repair.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                        maken21 Level 1

Thank you for your answer, it would be very helpful for me if you could write me details about that pdf what is incorrect there and how could I check test pdf rules by myself if it is possible.

Pdf was created by my custom script.

• 9. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt

I thought that was made by CutePDF... if it's your own, here is some technical info

Errors needing repair are usually one of these:

- bad startxref address

- bad address in xref

- bad stream length

- malformed trailer

- malformed xref

In this case the problem is a malformed xref, the entries are not 20 bytes apart. You have to follow the weird rules very closely here.

• 10. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                            nirbhayk56733085 Level 1

In adobe reader 11 this happened with me same.  Solution is go in edit>preference>general>warning box check it "says do not show edit warning". It will solve the issue.

2 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                              markb4136142 Level 1

I created some code in APL to create PDFs years ago using version 1.1 specs, the only ones I could find at the time. I have the same issue, but I am not sure how to adjust my code. When I edit my PDF in a text editor, it is completely viewable in standard ASCII characters. When I let Adobe XI save it, then the file when viewed in a text editor looks a lot like compiled code. I'd be happy to upload a copy of my file to see if an XREF is off or something but I don't see a way to add a file. Alternatively, are there any updated specs I can use to reconstruct my code? Thanks.

• 12. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt

The specs are much longer now but the basics are the same and the xref etc hasn't changed. How do you check the byte addresses? To share you need to put it in your own site or a file sharing site.

• 13. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                                  markb4136142 Level 1

Here is a link to the PDF sample.pdf - Google Drive

Here is a link to a text version of the file sample.txt - Google Drive

They are identical except for file extension, just to make life easier.

• 14. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt

Be sure you have a suitable hex editor or editor that shows byte offsets for checking. I found two errors from my list in reply#9, there may be more: startxref is wrong; xref entries not at 20 byte intervals.

Your reference to being a valid text files sounds alarm bells... Since PDF 1.1 the empahasis has become more clear: PDF files are NOT TEXT and trying to treat them as text (e.g. edit in text editor) is certain to mess them up. For example to cause line endings to change between one and two bytes. Treat as as a binary file, just as much as if it were a JPEG.

• 15. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                                      fpmorrison Level 1

This very annoying "Do you wish to save changes" message when I haven't made any started happening to me in early April 2017 using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version 2015.023.20070, probably around the 4th or 5th day of the month.

I see that it has been four years since it was first reported, which is not very encouraging.

• 16. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt

My money would be on the creator of the files as having changed something on that date. No bug or fault has been identified in Reader.

• 17. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                                          fpmorrison Level 1

That would make sense if it was happening on only one or two .pdf files.

However, in my situation, it happens for every .pdf file I open and then try to close, so it has nothing at all to do with the contents of any specific PDF file and everything to do with a bug in Adobe's software.

• 18. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt

You're the first to mention this, which is surprising, but anything's possible. So this happens with old files too? Can you share a particular (non-sensitive) one? Not in the forum, but on a file sharing site?

• 19. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                                              fpmorrison Level 1

Here's what I did to solve the problem on my Windows 10 64-bit laptop:

1. Use Control Panel to find and uninstall Adobe Reader DC

2. Visit Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install for all versions  to grab the installer (minus all the slop they try to trick you into installing along with Adobe Reader DC).

3. Run the installer.

4. Reboot (yes, I know, it does not say you should reboot, but I always do any way because it never does any harm)

Problem solved.

Files can be opened and closed without the annoying do you wish to save changes nagging.

• 20. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                                                Brinybay Level 1

nirbhayk56733085 said Sep 3, 2016 10:36 AM (in response to prdfy)

"In adobe reader 11 this happened with me same.  Solution is go in edit>preference>general>warning box check it "says do not show edit warning". It will solve the issue."

I just did that.  I'm using version 17.012.20095.42964.  Time will tell if it was suffice, I don't have the time or patience to individually check all my various pdf files. 

• 21. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                                                  robm1248 Level 1

I did the re-installation, but interestingly, I could not install as I kept getting the message that a newer version was already installed.  So, I rebooted, and then the installation worked.  I can close a document without getting the save changes prompt on a document save as PDF by MS Word.  However, I have other PDF documents that are apparently corrupt as mentioned earlier.  If I go ahead and save the document, it corrects the problem.  This would be much more clear if the Adobe Reader would pop a message stating that the document was corrupt, saying how, and ask you to fix it, rather that just setting the flag that the document has had changes.

• 22. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt

Actually, it does. It flashes up a message saying "The document has errors and is being repaired" or some such. Always have. But while it used to take a few seconds, on modern computers the whole process is so quick the message is gone before anyone sees it...

• 23. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                                                      robm1248 Level 1

Then there is still a problem ... the message needs to pause for a confirmation.  A message that cannot be seen is not a real solution.

• 24. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                                                        mihailf90895727 Level 1

Legal Information                       END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT                 IMPORTANT--READ CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS SOFTWARE       BY USING THIS SOFTWARE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS LICENSE   AGREEMENT, THAT YOU UNDERSTAND IT, AND THAT YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ITS   TERMS.  IN ANY EVENT, YOUR USE OF THIS SOFTWARE CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE   AND AGREEMENT TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS HEREIN.       1.                  GRANT OF LICENSE FOR REGISTERED USERS.  Brian Stevens, hereby grants you a non-exclusive,   non-transferable, limited license to use the software with which this   license is distributed (the "Software"), including any documentation files   accompanying the Software ("Documentation") solely on a single personal   computer, provided that (i) the Software may not be modified; (ii) all   copyright notices are maintained on the Software; and (iii) you agree to be   bound by the terms of this License Agreement.  The Software is licensed to   you and not sold to you.  The Software and Documentation shall be used only   by you, only for your own personal use and not in the operation of a service   bureau or for the benefit of any other person or entity. Any use of the   Software, other than as expressly set forth herein, by you or any person,   business, corporation, government organization or any other entity is   strictly forbidden and is a violation of this License Agreement.     2.                  OWNERSHIP.  You have no ownership rights in the   Software. Rather, you have a license to use the Software pursuant to the   terms of this License Agreement as long as this License Agreement remains in   full force and effect.  Ownership of the Software, Documentation and all   intellectual property rights therein shall remain at all times with Brian Stevens.   Brian Stevens shall own all right title and interest (including any copyrights,   patents, trade secrets and other intellectual property rights) in and to all   materials licensed by Brian Stevens under this Agreement.  You acknowledge that as   between you and Brian Stevens, Brian Stevens owns its proprietary trademark(s) (including   but not limited to PPCtoTrash ), and all related trade names, logos and   icons.     3.                  COPYRIGHT AND TRADEMARK.  The Software and Documentation   contain material that is protected by United States Copyright Law and trade   secret law, and by international treaty provisions.  All rights not granted   to you herein are reserved to Brian Stevens.  You may not remove any proprietary   notice of Brian Stevens from any copy of the Software or Documentation.  You are   not authorized to use, reproduce, publish, or distribute any trademarks,   trade names, logos or icons of  Brian Stevens. You may not copy the printed   materials and Documentation which accompany the Software.     4.                  RESTRICTIONS.  This License Agreement is your proof of   license to exercise the rights granted herein and must be retained by you.   You must protect the Software and Documentation consistent with Brian Stevens's   rights therein, including informing persons who are permitted access thereto   in order to satisfy your obligations hereunder and maintain the   confidentiality of the Software and Documentation.  You may not publish,   display, disclose, rent, lease, modify, loan, distribute, alter or create   derivative works based on the Software or any part thereof.  You may not   reverse engineer, decompile, translate, adapt, or disassemble the Software,   nor shall you attempt to create the source code from the object code for the   Software.  You may not transmit the Software over any network or between any   devices, although you may use the Software to make such transmissions of   other materials.  You may transfer the Software to another computer you own   as long as you first delete all copies of the Software contained on the   original computer on which the Software was initially installed.     5.                  DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY.  THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED 'AS   IS'.  TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, Brian Stevens DISCLAIMS ALL   WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT   LIMITATION, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A   PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE. Brian Stevens DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE FUNCTIONS   CONTAINED IN THE SOFTWARE WILL MEET ANY REQUIREMENTS OR NEEDS YOU MAY HAVE,   OR THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL OPERATE ERROR FREE, OR IN AN UNINTERRUPTED   FASHION, OR THAT ANY DEFECTS OR ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE WILL BE CORRECTED, OR   THAT THE SOFTWARE IS COMPATIBLE WITH ANY PARTICULAR PLATFORM. Brian Stevens IS NOT   OBLIGATED TO PROVIDE ANY UPDATES TO THE SOFTWARE.     6.                  LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. IN NO EVENT WILL Brian Stevens BE   LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL,   INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED   TO DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION,   LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO RECORDS OR DATA, COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE   GOODS, SERVICES OR TECHNOLOGY OR LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION ARISING OUT OF   THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER   PARTY, EVEN IF Brian Stevens HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.   Brian Stevens'S LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO ITS OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT OR   OTHERWISE WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION OR OTHERWISE SHALL   NOT EXCEED THE AMOUNT OF THE LICENSE FEE PAID BY YOU FOR THE SOFTWARE AND   DOCUMENTATION GIVING RISE TO THE LIABILITY OR U.S. $50.00.  BECAUSE SOME   STATES/COUNTRIES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR   CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO   YOU.     7.                  EXPORT RESTRICTIONS.  THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT IS   EXPRESSLY MADE SUBJECT TO ANY LAWS, REGULATIONS, ORDERS, OR OTHER   RESTRICTIONS ON THE EXPORT FROM THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA OF THE SOFTWARE   OR INFORMATION ABOUT SUCH SOFTWARE WHICH MAY BE IMPOSED FROM TIME TO TIME BY   THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.  YOU SHALL NOT EXPORT THE   SOFTWARE, DOCUMENTATION, OR INFORMATION ABOUT THE SOFTWARE AND   DOCUMENTATION. PURCHASERS OF THE SOFTWARE ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED FROM   EXPORTING OR TRANSFERRING THE SOFTWARE, DOCUMENTATION, OR INFORMATION ABOUT   THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION, OR ANY RIGHTS GRANTED UNDER THE TERMS   HEREOF, TO ANY INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY EITHER (I) RESIDING IN ANY COUNTRY   PROHIBITED BY THE UNITED STATES EXPORT ADMINISTRATION ACT OF 1979, OR   REGULATIONS PROMULGATED THEREUNDER, OR (II) USING THE SOFTWARE FOR ANY   PURPOSE PROHIBITED BY SAID ACT OR REGULATIONS, AND ANY SUCH ATTEMPTED   TRANSFER OR EXPORT SHALL BE NULL AND VOID. Brian Stevens CERTIFIES THAT NEITHER THE   SOFTWARE NOR ANY RELATED TECHNICAL DATA NOR THE DIRECT PRODUCTS THEREOF (I)   ARE INTENDED TO BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE PROHIBITED BY THE UNITED STATES   EXPORT ADMINISTRATION ACT OF 1979 ['EXPORT ADMINISTRATION ACT'] OR   REGULATIONS PROMULGATED THEREUNDER, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, NUCLEAR   PROLIFERATION, OR (II) ARE INTENDED TO BE SHIPPED OR EXPORTED, EITHER   DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, TO ANY COUNTRY PROHIBITED BY THE EXPORT   ADMINISTRATION ACT OR ANY OTHER SIMILAR ACT.     8.        CONFIDENTIALITY AND NON-DISCLOSURE  You acknowledge that the   Software and Documentation constitute confidential and proprietary   information of Brian Stevens (the 'Confidential Information'), and agree to hold   the Confidential Information in strict confidence and safeguard same with at   least as great a degree of care as you would use with your own most   confidential materials and data relating to your business, but in no event   less than a reasonable degree of care.         9.                  TERMINATION.  This License Agreement is effective until   terminated.  You may terminate this License Agreement at any time by   destroying or returning to your supplier all copies of the Software and   Documentation in your possession or under your control.  This License   Agreement shall terminate immediately if you violate the terms of this   License Agreement.  Upon such termination, you agree to destroy or return to   Brian Stevens all copies of the Software and Documentation and to certify to Brian Stevens   in writing that all known copies, including backup copies, have been   destroyed.     10.            GENERAL.     a.      Law. This License Agreement shall be construed, interpreted and   governed by the laws of the State of Arizona without regard to its conflict   of law provisions.  The parties hereby consent to the exclusive jurisdiction   of the courts of Arizona State, waive any right to object to said   jurisdiction based upon convenience or other bases, and further agree that   any cause of action arising under this Agreement shall be brought   exclusively in a court in Maricopa County Arizona.     b.      Entire Agreement. This License Agreement shall constitute the entire   Agreement between the parties hereto.  Any waiver or modification of this   License Agreement shall only be effective if it is in writing and signed by   both parties hereto.     c.      No Waiver.  No waiver of any provision hereof or of any right or   remedy hereunder shall be effective unless in writing and signed by the   party against whom such waiver is sought to be enforced. No delay in   exercising, no course of dealing with respect to, or no partial exercise of   any right or remedy hereunder shall constitute a waiver of any other right   or remedy, or future exercise thereof.     d.      Severability. If any part of this License Agreement is found invalid   or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, it shall be adjusted   rather than voided, if possible, in order to achieve the intent of the   parties to the extent possible, and the enforceability of the remaining   provisions shall be unimpaired.     e.      Limitations. No action, regardless of form, arising out of this   Agreement may be brought by you more than two (2) years after such cause of   action shall have accrued.     f.        Assignment. You may not assign, sublicense, transfer, pledge,   lease, rent or share your rights under this License Agreement.  Brian Stevens may   assign or delegate this Agreement or any right or obligation hereunder, by   operation of law or otherwise, to any entity.     g.      Dispute Resolution Process. Should a dispute arise between the   parties under or relating to this Agreement, you agree to notify Brian Stevens in   writing as promptly as possible of any such dispute, including any dispute   as to whether an event of default has occurred, and each party agrees that   prior to initiating any formal proceeding against the other (except for the   seeking of injunctive relief), the parties will each designate a   representative for purposes of resolving this dispute.  If the parties'   representatives are unable to resolve the dispute within ten (10) business   days, either may, upon written notice to the other party, require that the   dispute be submitted to more senior representatives within each party (the   'Senior Representatives').  The Senior Representatives of each party shall   meet as soon as possible to negotiate in good faith to resolve the dispute.   If the Senior Representatives are unable to resolve the dispute within ten   (10) business days after submission of the dispute to them, or such longer   period for resolution as may be mutually agreed in writing by the Senior   Representatives, the dispute shall be settled by binding arbitration   administered by and under the then-current rules of the American Arbitration   Association ('AAA').  The location of any such proceeding shall be Maricopa County,   Arizona.  Judgment upon any award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered   by any court having jurisdiction thereof.  Any arbitrator shall be bound by   the express terms of this Agreement and shall not change or modify any terms   of this Agreement or make any award of damages in excess of that set forth   in this Agreement or grant any relief not expressly set forth herein.         h.      Survival.  The respective rights and obligations of the parties with   respect to Section 2 [Ownership], Section 5 [Disclaimer of Warranty],   Section 6 [Limitation of Liability], Section 8 [Confidentiality and   Non-Disclosure], and this Section 9 [General Provisions] shall survive any   termination or expiration of this Agreement.         i.        Remedies.  The rights and remedies of the parties as set forth in   this Agreement are not exclusive and are in addition to any other rights and   remedies available to them in law or in equity.         11.            U.S. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS.  The Software (including   the Documentation) is provided with RESTRICTED RIGHTS.  Use, duplication, or   disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions as set forth in   subparagraph (c)(1)(ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer   Software clause of DFARS 252.227-7013 [Rights in Technical Data -   Non-Commercial Items] or subparagraph (c)(1) and (2) of the Commercial   Computer Software-Restricted Rights clause at 48 CFR 52.227-19 as amended,   or any successor regulations thereto.     For Inquiries, please contact:    Brian Stevens email: ccnx@cox.net        * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided    * that the following conditions are met:   *   *  * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.   *  * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.   *  * Neither the name of BrilorSoftware nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.   *   * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS   * "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,   * THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE   * ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE   * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES   * (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF   * USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF   * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)   * ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE   * POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. Legalese (otherwise known as The Licence Agreement) This is a legal agreement between you and Brian S. Stevens, covering your use of PPCtoTrash .  Be sure to read the following agreement before using the software.  IF YOU DO NOT  AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE AND DESTROY  ALL COPIES OF IT. This copyright software is distributed as freeware.  You may use this software  without any charge for 15 uses and may distribute the original compressed archive to  others. The software is owned by Brian S. Stevens and is protected by United States  copyright laws and international treaty provisions.  Therefore, you must treat the  software like any other copyrighted material (e.g. a book or  movie). Commercial distribution of the software is restricted without permission of Brian S. Stevens.  I'll be more than happy to allow you to redistribute this software, but you  must first obtain a license from me. I may be contacted at the above email address. You may not rent or lease the software, nor may you modify, adapt, translate, reverse  engineer, decompile, or disassemble the software.  If you violate any part of this  agreement, your right to use this software terminates automatically and you then  must destroy all copies of this software in your possession. The software and related documentation are provided “AS IS” and without warranty of  any kind and Brian S. Stevens, expressly disclaims all other warranties, expressed or  implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and  fitness for a particular purpose.  Under no circumstances shall  Brian S. Stevens,  be  liable for any incidental, special or consequential damages that result from the use or  inability to use the software or related documentation, even if Brian S. Stevens has  been advised of the possibility of such damages.  This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of Arizona.  If for any  reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision of this Agreement, or  portion thereof, to be unenforceable, that provision of the Agreement shall be  enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to effect the intent of the parties,  and the remainder of this Agreement shall continue in full force and effect. Brian S. Stevens. Chandler, Arizona  85225 All trademarks are held by their respective owners.

1 person found this helpful
                                                        • 25. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                                                          JimBurd Level 1

I had the same problem.  I solved it by doing a complete uninstall of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  I then went and deleted every single folder on my system (Windows 7) that had the "Acrobat" in the folder name.  I then went in and cleaned out the Registry, deleting all references to Acrobat.  I then downloaded and installed the latest version (AcroRdrDC1701220093_en_US.exe).  At that point, everything was working just fine.  I didn't do any reboots. 

I can now open all of the same PDFs that were causing a prompt to save changes. 

In my mind, this makes it very clear that there is a bug of some sort that Adobe should be looking at.

• 26. Re: Adobe Reader X (free) -- "Do you want to save changes" prompt
                                                            mikel40968816 Level 1

I just upgraded to version 2018.009.20044 and had this problem for the first time ever.  A new PDF that I downloaded from a creditor would open with Reader but would ask to save whenever I went to close it.  If I opened a document that I had previously opened in the previous release of Reader, I could close Reader, and hence the document, with no prompt.

As I read through this thread, I got to thinking...  What if I choose to Save this new file when it asks.  I saved it, even to the same name as it previously had.  The next time I opened the file and closed it, no Save prompt.  So try saving, reopening and closing again and see if that fixes your problem.

I actually had this happen with two documents I downloaded from the same creditor and the same fix worked for both.